Author Topic: Bearings  (Read 534 times)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Bearings
« on: November 16, 2023, 04:57:41 PM »
Hi,
Hoping for a bit of education / advice on replacement bearings if possible.
Working an an XT250 which has had a tough life and various bits of damage in the bottom end so I'm looking to replace most of the bearings as a couple felt a bit notchy.
I can find like for like bearings for most of them online at pretty reasonable costs but there are two bearings that have an 'SH' marking on them and I can't figure out what importance this has.
It seems from Googling that this denotes a heat treatment of some kind but the bearing companies I've checked with haven't had any detail or advice and just suggest going with the standard bearing and ignore the 'SH' bit.
I think this may be what others do - as an example Yambits show a replacement bearing for one of the SH ones (no detail on the exact bearing in the description of course) and it's only about £10 so I'm guessing it is an economy bearing of the standard type at that cost.
Maybe someone has some experience on this which would be really appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 05:49:39 PM »
Depends which bearings have the sh

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 07:49:14 PM »
One is on the crankshaft - need to check on the other one

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 08:01:49 PM »
Koyo do DH bearings in lots of sizes. They are heat treated so maybe worth a look at their catalogue when looking.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 08:11:06 PM »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 08:43:58 PM »
Andy.
I have used a company in the past called Simply Bearings Ltd.
I have just looked on their website and typed in SH Bearing and the description of the product is as below:

Metal Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearings: One of the most commonly used bearings, these types are manufactured with metal shields inserted into the outer raceway, these fit in closely to the inner race providing protection against light mechanical damage, some protection against the ingress of moisture, dust and other foreign matter and serve to retain the pre-filled grease in the bearing.
Shields can be removed for applications that only require 1 shield
Benefits: Provides light mechanical protection, limits moisture and dirt ingress, lubricated for life,

They have an excellent technical department so maybe worth giving them a call as they have a full range of bearings from economy to high end SKF etc.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 08:49:10 AM »
Thanks all,
Dave - it's Simply Bearings I've used to date and I did speak with them but they initially had no idea about the SH bearing marking so have opened a technical query to see if they can find out about them.
Must say they have been really easy to use in the past and prices for top brand bearings seem very reasonable with quick shipping.

Deano - the pdf is really interesting - I had a look at the Koyo site but never spotted this anywhere.
Looks like the treatment is purely to make the bearings more durable in tough environments.
If that is the case I think the standard version will be fine as I doubt the XT will get anything like the harsh treatment it was designed for.
I was concerned in case the SH version had some important feature compared to the standard bearing such as being C3 or C4 for example with different tolerances.

I'll see if Simply bearings come back with anything further today and if not think I'll just go for the standard bearings.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Cheers,
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal