Author Topic: plastic chainguard renovation  (Read 2228 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: plastic chainguard renovation
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 10:03:17 AM »
Motorex protect and shine.recommended by triumph for black plastic. Looks great but needs repeat application.
Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish...

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spirits-Cleaner-Polish-Aerosol/dp/B007KPX7HQ?th=1

Wash, dry and de-grease part, apply, let soak over night, wipe any excess off with lint free (cotton) fabric in the morning...
(lasts about a year on dark gray and black plastics before it washes off/faints due exposure... but re-application works effectively after the first over night treatment)

Some fairly usual components in it's makeup, light petroleum oil, Stoddart solvent (white spirit, naphtha type stuff) butane for propellant......and "Amides, tall-oil fatty, N,N-bis(hydroxyethyl)" that I don't recall seeing before. Looks like a plasticiser type product that appears valid to what's asked for here.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 11:15:28 AM »
Looks like a plasticiser type product that appears valid to what's asked for here.
Was sold (re-batched) under Honda back in ze 90ies, took me a while to find the original though...
Brilliant on poly-carbonate windscreens (removes bug-splash without a trace, keeps the screen water repellent for quite some time)...
Successfully prepped some (plexi) instrument faces and cover plates...
Great on the plastic handlebar switch-pods (some UV-protection and won't make the plastic brittle like that ArmorAll...)
Super on vinyl seats as they're not slippery afterwards!
Also using it on my car's dash and interior, preserves the dull surface, hence keeps windscreen reflections at minimum...
(no, I'm not a share holder!  8) )

STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 11:18:03 AM »

Trouble is with the heat gun the results do not last long

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
Looks like a plasticiser type product that appears valid to what's asked for here.
Was sold (re-batched) under Honda back in ze 90ies, took me a while to find the original though...
Brilliant on poly-carbonate windscreens (removes bug-splash without a trace, keeps the screen water repellent for quite some time)...
Successfully prepped some (plexi) instrument faces and cover plates...
Great on the plastic handlebar switch-pods (some UV-protection and won't make the plastic brittle like that ArmorAll...)
Super on vinyl seats as they're not slippery afterwards!
Also using it on my car's dash and interior, preserves the dull surface, hence keeps windscreen reflections at minimum...
(no, I'm not a share holder!  8) )

For UK based buyers if interested  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166316971142 makes reference to original Honda distribution etc too.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2023, 01:20:15 PM »
Plastic fantastic - the answer to all our prayers - yeah, right!
I think this topic came up on here a while back and someone recommended 'Owatrol Polytrol'.  I bought some and it certainly works but like the heat gun or peanut oil methods is not long lasting.  I used it initially on brown guttering/downspout fittings - the main components don't have a problem, it's the brackets and fittings which go very pale.  Used outside in the Orkney weather it lasts about a year.  Can't remember what's in it now.

Ian

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »
As it's related just started cleaning my 500 chaincase - I suspect it has been painted as big sheets of black paint like material came off when I cleaned it in carb solution. Side sheets rubbed off easily top section just like photo - rubbed off easily.

There are some pretty good paints around these days that stay on flexible plastic such as spoilers & car bumpers - expensive though.

Has anyone tried the U -tube trick to replace missing plastic?

looks like paint by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
a small bit missing by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 03:58:38 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2023, 04:19:26 PM »
A few ideas to try, thanks. I did have to rub it down with abrasive as was quite rough (as most things were on Lazarus) so will experiment and report.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »
Got to be honest here and say I always hated the plastic chainguard on the 500, looked cheap and tacky to me. When the 550F came out with a chrome one the first thing I did was to see if I could get it to fit the 500 and pleased to say it does fit with a little modding. Never gone back to the plastic one and I severely doubt I ever will.

This is the only picture I can find with it fitted and even then it's not a great pic.

This was just after the bike being removed from the Utility room I mentioned in another thread, you can see the Atrium behind it, the room is to the right and the coal hole was to the left, the bike was wearing a very old seat and shocks just so I could sit on it, it's not even been on the road at this point. Notice the RD400 rear light, just so I could have 2 bulbs as the rear bulb always seemed to blow a lot. I got sick of not being seen from behind until I could replace it. Around 1979-80 this picture, where the bike is standing is now my bike garage/workshop, the Atrium is gone and is now part of the kitchen you can see through the back door, the coal hole is also now a part of the kitchen
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2023, 08:10:10 PM »
First thing I disliked about the 500 were the black fork gaiters & chain guard.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2023, 08:21:01 PM »
What?! I love the gaiters! Gives the bike that classic no nonsense look and I have not had to renew one seal yet!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2023, 08:28:36 PM »
What?! I love the gaiters! Gives the bike that classic no nonsense look and I have not had to renew one seal yet!

It’s well known that you have no taste though DR

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2023, 08:49:55 PM »
One man's meat is another man's ....
I know gaiters are retro but they just look like a crude after thought to me.
I liked bikes that had covered front suspension like my Aerial Leader iirc my 250 Dream had painted covers not black rubber gaiters that shout at you.😁😁😁

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2023, 09:59:06 PM »
It’s well known that you have no taste though DR
Well known? Well known?! What arrogance is that? Who do you represent besides you yourself then? Just look at the taillight of the UK's model CB500 and compare it to what the rest of the world had. You want to discuss taste?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2023, 11:35:32 PM »
DR, you have as much taste as you do a sense of humour. Lighten up, it's just a bit of fun.

As for the rear light, Germany got a god damned awful one IIRC. The yanks got a huge one, way out of proportion, the UK one was just about right IMO.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2023, 08:00:50 AM »
Bigger is better…size counts😁

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal