Author Topic: My 750F2 project.  (Read 5483 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: My 750F2 project.
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2024, 10:54:16 AM »
I thought nice machining work on the collars too.

I've not tried BOGE dampers on a bike but they have very good reputation and capability in car products.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2024, 03:24:18 PM »
I thought nice machining work on the collars too.

I've not tried BOGE dampers on a bike but they have very good reputation and capability in car products.

These have worked well for me, but were looking pretty ratty. I have an aluminum swing arm from a zrx1100 I need to finish modifying to fit which takes shocks that are eyelet not clevis mount so cleaning these up was a good little side project while I’m waiting for parts. And the machining of the collars was a good challenge to my very rudimentary ability on a lathe and mill. I got to do a bit of drafting and geometry to figure out the spacing of the preload ramps. The paint and the shock oil was in my shop already and it didn’t cost me anything for the powder coat. So it was a low cost refurb or buy new shocks I may replace in a year or so…

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2024, 03:38:20 PM »
They look well, subtle colours and not the obligatory chrome finish

Cheers. This refurb was more a test if I could make those preload collars as one broke when I was adjusting the collar.  These will look good, long enough for me to get my bike back together and get the swing arm swap sorted or shelved.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2024, 05:01:26 PM »
The problem with repainting shocks is that not matter how careful you are it's never strong enough to withstand the adjusting process, the paint on the top of the lugs gets rubbed off as soon as you move the collars, then sometimes just the collar moving can rub the paint off underneath it, the springs can touch the body when they compress and that rubs paint off, they look great until you use them. Makes me mad as hell, all that work, all that time and they look worse than they did before within a few months, not to mention scratching the paint with the spring compressors, Jesus my blood pressure is going up just thinking about it.

Calming down now, they look really nice, and the collars are really well made. Well done.

Black plastic tubing of the type used to keep golf clubs from rattling together, fitted perfectly over the body of my Commando rear shocks.
Prevents the springs from damaging the paint.

If your shockers adjust with a C spanner, then just lag it with a bit of cardboard before preloading the springs.

Hope that helps.

Skoti
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2024, 05:20:04 PM »
Black plastic tubing of the type used to keep golf clubs from rattling together, fitted perfectly over the body of my Commando rear shocks.
Prevents the springs from damaging the paint.

If your shockers adjust with a C spanner, then just lag it with a bit of cardboard before preloading the springs.

Hope that helps.

Skoti

Great tip cheers, I have some paint protection film in the garage in my haste to see how good things looked assembled I forgot I was going to apply to the shock bodies. I think I will give that a shot first. Yes I have a pin or C spanner for the preload. I actually filed and sanded its edge a bit to help prevent marring. I doubt I’ll change the preload from where it is though as it’s where I had it set before!

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2024, 06:40:53 PM »
The problem with repainting shocks is that not matter how careful you are it's never strong enough to withstand the adjusting process, the paint on the top of the lugs gets rubbed off as soon as you move the collars, then sometimes just the collar moving can rub the paint off underneath it, the springs can touch the body when they compress and that rubs paint off, they look great until you use them. Makes me mad as hell, all that work, all that time and they look worse than they did before within a few months, not to mention scratching the paint with the spring compressors, Jesus my blood pressure is going up just thinking about it.

Calming down now, they look really nice, and the collars are really well made. Well done.

I appreciate that your standards for finish are a lot higher than mine.
I have spent several thousands of dollars on the things that matter to me on this project:

Race ported head, new valves new valve seats and HD springs
Custom cam, adjustable cam sprocket
Big bore high compression pistons, cylinder boring HD studs
Carillo rods,
“New” engine cases/better transmission, HD primary chains, cam chain, all new cam and primary tensioners, new engine bearings, new hardware etc….

Next expenses:
New RS34 carbs
New Stainless Hindle exhaust

I’m content and more importantly, ENJOYING the process of what I’m doing with the refurbishment of the aesthetic parts of my bike! So if you have something critical to say, how about you reserve it to your bikes, and I will do the same regarding your project(s)

Cheers
Grant.

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2024, 08:09:34 PM »
How you got critical from my post I have no idea. It was meant to show how annoying it was to do all that work only to find it looking so bad within a short time.

I’ll refrain from trying to help in future.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2024, 08:53:12 PM »
How you got critical from my post I have no idea. It was meant to show how annoying it was to do all that work only to find it looking so bad within a short time.

I’ll refrain from trying to help in future.

Come on man, you crapped on my zinc plating and you wrote a paragraph explaining  “how my work will look worse than it did before…”

What good does writing a paragraph on shortfalls and pointlessness of  someone’s completed project “help”?

If I’m posting information or work that is unsafe or saying that this is how things should be done, I’m all ears to constructive criticism or feedback. But telling someone whose spend time and effort (and money, but not in this case) that their work is pointless is pretty poor form and does little to create a sense of community.

I didn’t seek advice on how to do something I was sharing the result of my efforts. You have no bloody idea how the springs had already started to corrode or how the paint was scuffed or the shock collars were stripped and broken. Or the fact that this was a stop gap measure and an exercise in learning some processes on my mill and lathe. Or that sometimes enjoyment is in the process more than the outcome.

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2024, 09:30:56 PM »
Crapped all over? I commented that it looked like it maybe hadn’t taken, you hadn’t explained you were using a home brew kit and the results were very different to the results we get in the Uk with better kits. You’d prefer not knowing? Fine.

As for the damper post, it was a comment on my experience on a using rattle can finish on damper bodies, more of a rant on how frustrating it is to see so much work turn out to be so disappointing. Maybe that helps someone helps to avoid the same mistake. But hey if you’re so sensitive that any comments not amounting to a pat in the back is unwelcome then that’s fine. I’ve said I won’t post anymore, even if at some point in the future you really do need some help or advise.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2024, 11:44:03 PM »
Crapped all over? I commented that it looked like it maybe hadn’t taken, you hadn’t explained you were using a home brew kit and the results were very different to the results we get in the Uk with better kits. You’d prefer not knowing? Fine.

As for the damper post, it was a comment on my experience on a using rattle can finish on damper bodies, more of a rant on how frustrating it is to see so much work turn out to be so disappointing. Maybe that helps someone helps to avoid the same mistake. But hey if you’re so sensitive that any comments not amounting to a pat in the back is unwelcome then that’s fine. I’ve said I won’t post anymore, even if at some point in the future you really do need some help or advise.

Well it doesn’t sound like I’m getting my point across so I will wish you well on your projects.  I hope it comes out to your satisfaction.
I hope for the well being of others or myself if there’s anything I or any one else shares that’s unsafe or dangerous practice that regardless of our opinions it’s commented on.

Best of luck,
 Grant.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2024, 07:49:40 AM »
Debating here whether to tell Ken to put a sock in it, apologise to Grant (if he’s still here) or just delete the last few posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2024, 09:36:22 AM »

just over 12mnths ago he flounced threatening to leave the forum but came back stating he would come back but be hardly posting. I bet he must
   have done well over 1000 posts since.
   I have been doing the CBX550 over winter and its nearly finished but he and his attitude is the reason I rarely post now and there will be no pics of
   the CBX on this forum.
   I know for a fact others that no longer bother with this forum for the same reason.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2024, 10:50:05 AM »
In defence of Ken yes sometimes he might be a little direct if he sees things that are not correct but at least he goes on to say why. He does not say stuff like "I've never had that problem" and offer no solution.

I'm a grown man not a Snowflake so I accept his comments as they are based on solid experience of the 500 models. There is not a bad bone in his body imho when he posts replies.
I have PM'd him many times when I have had issues on my 500 build progresses receiving positive helpful replies fully explaining any ancillary questions I ask.

I for one did not want Ken to leave when he was having issues I am very grateful that he listened to other members and stayed.

This sohc forum is a fantastic site made up of a very diverse & experienced members we should allow for any individual idiosyncrasis.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2024, 02:14:29 PM »
In defence of Ken yes sometimes he might be a little direct if he sees things that are not correct but at least he goes on to say why. He does not say stuff like "I've never had that problem" and offer no solution.

I'm a grown man not a Snowflake so I accept his comments as they are based on solid experience of the 500 models. There is not a bad bone in his body imho when he posts replies.
I have PM'd him many times when I have had issues on my 500 build progresses receiving positive helpful replies fully explaining any ancillary questions I ask.

I for one did not want Ken to leave when he was having issues I am very grateful that he listened to other members and stayed.

This sohc forum is a fantastic site made up of a very diverse & experienced members we should allow for any individual idiosyncrasis.

Would you care to expand on the "I'm a grown man not a snowflake "

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2024, 03:56:48 PM »

Would you care to expand on the "I'm a grown man not a snowflake "

I was speaking for me "I'm a grown man" 6ft 1 in tall, 76 years of age, Snowflake I understand is the modern term for folk who easily take offence.

I am pretty thick skinned having worked  for 27 years in Policing dealing with difficult people in stressful situations often at the worst end of humanity. I later worked for 5 years in the customer complaints section of a Mercedes Dealership collecting vehicles that fell well short perfection.  The impact of my working life has  moved me well away from easily being offended to being probably unusually tolerant or even stoic.

If I received what I perceived as unfair comments about my bike I would try to understand the view given, I might answer back seeking clarification or evidence. I might end up respectfully agreeing to disagree. At the end of the day were often seeking advice - one does not have to accept or take it.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal