Author Topic: My 750F2 project.  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: My 750F2 project
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2024, 04:50:23 PM »
Ok folks,

Ive been on motorcycle forums for a long time, I also work in automotive parts sales, so i have fairly thick skin.

People join these forums for many reasons, most of us joined up because we needed help or parts or something like that.

Most of us stick around for the sense of community, getting to see other like minded individuals doing similar work. Get ideas or inspiration for their bikes.

Ive had Personal messages of support from other members who feel the same way, and some comments to that effect above. I am not glad for this, Im just saying im obviously not the only one who doesnt welcome how he is providing his feedback. On the other hand i had another member assure me Oddjob means well, but is very VERY detail oriented.

When it comes to critical component like brakes, or engine assembly things are pretty cut and dry, but when it comes to asethetics, theres such a huge range of personal opinion, satisfaction in the process, personal ability and cost.

To have people jump on your build thread and be critical of your efforts without offering solutions DOES NOT HELP, its AFTER THE FACT.

In regards to these shocks im hoping to get 1 or 2 seasons out of them, not another decade. They looked thrashed when i took them off the bike, and the broken preload collar was a really fun challenge to my minimal machining skills. The collars turned out well enough that it made the rest of the shocks look even worse so i gave the shocks a lick of paint… i have a good friend who powdercoated my shock springs, frame and lots of bits and pieces for free.  Does that sound like a waste of time to you?? If so, i dont need your input you’re not my kind of person. 

Do i care about concours restorations? no but i respect them for their skill and attention to period correct detail.

Do i like the modern brat bike plank seat look? No but good for them they’re out there wrenching and riding. Its not their fault i broke my hip and need a comfy seat!

Do i care about drag racers? Man bikes are for corners but those guys know how to make horsepower so i listen when they talk engines.

Built not Bought guys? Dude good on you if you can do it all, I know i cant and I'm glad to pay for nice results when the process is beyond me.

My point? There is a myriad of reasons to ride and wrench on these bikes, lets do our best to help people when they as or if it appears they might be doing unsafe or costly they dont realize, let offer solutions, lets acknowledge we have different visions, skillsets, piggy banks.

Is that too Snowflake of me? 

Offline ozzybud

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: My 750F2 project.
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2024, 03:40:37 AM »
Well said!! Thank you!

Lets keep this fun. like the fun i have in my shop when i am trying to improve these classics and keep them on the road

Now  lets get back to your project and great posts about YOUR progress.

Ozzybud
1976 Z50 YELLOW
1970 CT70 BLUE
1971 CT70H ORANGE
1972 CT70H GREEN
1973 CL200 BLUE
1975 CB360T RED
1975 CB400F BLUE
1975 CB550 ORANGE
1976 CB750F RED

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2024, 05:19:40 AM »
Bit more painting and “dry fitting” parts today.

My stator cover had some damage to it. I used a really great product from Devcon it’s an aluminum epoxy putty that is very hard and can be filed and even drilled and tapped. However it didn’t like the powder coat process much and I had to sand spot glaze and paint over the spot where the filler was used.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2024, 09:29:45 AM »
There have been previous discussions about potential problems applying paint over powder coating good to read that it can be done.
Did you use ordinary Cellulose rattle can  paint or something special like Acrylic?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2024, 09:51:11 AM »
There have been previous discussions about potential problems applying paint over powder coating good to read that it can be done.
Did you use ordinary Cellulose rattle can  paint or something special like Acrylic?

It was suggested by my friend who did the powder coating, when the flaw showed up after the attempt to powder coat it. I used an Acrylic Enamel engine paint.

If it doesn’t hold up it’s a simple matter to strip it of and start from scratch.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2024, 07:20:23 PM »
That Devcon putty looks like good stuff. Then I checked hte price for it and ...ouch. In the UK its roughly £100 for a 500g tub. they don;t seem to make it in a smaller size.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2024, 07:43:53 PM »
That Devcon putty looks like good stuff. Then I checked hte price for it and ...ouch. In the UK its roughly £100 for a 500g tub. they don;t seem to make it in a smaller size.

Yes its pretty specialized but it was cheaper here. Id gladly swap prices for what you folks can get electroplating kits for!

I originally purchased it to repair my k5 cases that were damaged some time in the past, i had a weeping oil leak near the final drive because the case halves didnt seal properly. I had damaged the ‘repair’ over the years trying to tighten down that area as seen, i made the repair, drilled and tapped and helicoiled that area but, a parts bike with an f2 engine came up for sale locally and i shelved that project for a later date and have been using the ‘new’ f2 engine as the base of my rebuild.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2024, 10:47:27 PM »
Devcon is the bees knees of metal fillers and comes in different grades for different metals, used it in merchant navy, yes expensive but can be worth it for repairs on expensive bits,
Shocks, you are spending a fortune on the engine to increase power and torque but skimping on the parts to make it stay on the road, false economy in my humble opinion.
As to Ken being rude i disagree, he has made comments using his knowledge on the information at the time, e.g. the first plating post made did not say it was home brew and it did not look go for paid for or a "kit" finish but acceptable for home brew

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2024, 06:39:40 AM »
Devcon is the bees knees of metal fillers and comes in different grades for different metals, used it in merchant navy, yes expensive but can be worth it for repairs on expensive bits,
Shocks, you are spending a fortune on the engine to increase power and torque but skimping on the parts to make it stay on the road, false economy in my humble opinion.
As to Ken being rude i disagree, he has made comments using his knowledge on the information at the time, e.g. the first plating post made did not say it was home brew and it did not look go for paid for or a "kit" finish but acceptable for home brew

I have plans of using all my leftovers and finishing that engine build some day to see if i  made a functional repair. 

Interesting take on the shocks, as I'm usually the one advising others on suspension! However these shocks were a noticeable upgrade to the stock units. Also I did just service them. I flushed them out and put fresh oil in them, they don't leak, so unless i move up to adjustable ikons, ohlins, etc i don't really see the point. I do fork services for all my bikes and a few friends as well, Except for nitrogen equiped shocks im pretty comfortable with suspension work.

I do a couple track days a year and own some modern very capable bikes, while i am eagerly looking forward to having fun on my old Cb750, it sure isn't the bike i will be dragging a knee on!

As for your last bit, ok thanks for your perspective, Ken like many of us has a lot of knowledge and experience.  It seems like some of our friction may have been a case of message not received due to method of delivery.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2024, 08:53:22 AM »
I agree about standard shocks, the originals were marginal when new and i never saw a set last over 3 years and still have damping, even without leaks.
Somebody once told me that england and america(i will take a bit of leeway and put canada in with us) are two countries separated by the same language so misinterpretation is rife and can be distressing, there are a lot of geriatric old farts like myself and ken on this forum and several of us have worked for main honda dealers with between us probably centuries of experience but we are here to try and remember, and pass on, the pitfalls we have bothseenad done ourselves, good luck with the build

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2024, 04:55:47 PM »
Broke out the tiny paints for some details last night.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2024, 11:24:43 PM »
Disappointing day on the Engine rebuild front. I had my cylinders bored at a local machinist and they over shot the clearances. I showed the guys the piston specs and left the paper with them in the box of pistons. I don’t think they bothered to read them. Piston/bore clearance should be .0025" but they came out at .0040 confirmed by another machinist.

I was suspicious of it when I dry fitted the piston without rings and it seemed looser than any other fresh piston I’ve installed. Im working on a solution, but I’m pretty frustrated and not sure how much luck I will have at getting the shop that ruined my cylinders to cough up a refund.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2024, 01:01:52 AM »
That's dreadful - they need to sort some replacement liners and do it correctly.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2024, 01:32:27 AM »
That's dreadful - they need to sort some replacement liners and do it correctly.

Thanks,

It’s a crappy deal, I work in the automotive parts wholesale industry and the machine shop I had do the work is also my customer which is going to make this resolution quite tough to manage.

I might have a back up cylinder lined up to get machined, just working out details.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2024, 03:17:32 AM »
Problem you have is þhe clearance they have used is fine for cars and if that is what they do most they will argue they are right and you are wrong.
Clearance for Honda pistons is 1 thou, i dont know about the special kits.
I just had problems with a 550 block so i willdo the extra for nothing and pay for machining i cant do, a reputable machinist should repair for free

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal