Author Topic: Coming to terms with my inner Luddite!  (Read 516 times)

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Coming to terms with my inner Luddite!
« on: December 02, 2023, 12:21:58 PM »
Actually I haven't really come to terms.  The inner Luddite is often dominant..

One of my several projects when I am reunited with my CB400 four in April is to remove the E-ignition the bike came to me with (appears to be the unit DSS sells) and install an original ND points plate and ND advance unit I just acquired.   Yeah, I know...removing the E-ignition sounds crazy!  But heck, it's no crazier than when I removed all the hex-head screws that a previous owner had installed on the engine and replaced them with OEM JIS screws!   ::)

Q: Are you replacing the EI because it's causing a problem?

A: NOPE, works perfectly/bike runs great. 

Q: WTF? 

A: I like like seeing the mechanical-ness of the points opening/closing.

Q: But you can't see them under normal conditions, can you?

A: No. 

Q:  WTF?

A: Some of us are weird! Don't know why. I don't have any more time to discuss this,  I'm going to go relax/listen to a tape on my RT707.   :o

Offline teenybop1

• View Profile
Re: Coming to terms with my inner Luddite!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 01:00:18 PM »
I've just had my 400 4 returned to me after nearly 3years of refurbishment,(2 years wasted). butchered boyer system ditched and it's back to the original points system. It will be spring before I get to test it properly though. Waited this long so another couple of months won't hurt.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 05:22:48 PM »
Nothing wrong with the retro vibe - go points!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Online TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 06:47:03 PM »
I've owned my 400 for nearly 36 years now, and it has always been run with the points set-up. The only problem I had was when about 6 years ago, thinking it would be simpler, instead of fiddling about renewing the points, I purchased and fitted a fully loaded pattern backplate. The condensers on it lasted about 2 weeks and resulted in my one and only (so far) coming home in a RAC recovery truck.  Dug down my box of bits, retrieved the original backplate, fitted two sets of OE points and returned to con edition normal. I find it no real problem to set points and time the ignition, especially if that's all you've ever been used to.  Stay safe and upright. Mike.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »
DUH!!!  ::)

In cleaning up the ND advance unit,  I didn't think to make note of which way the index on the points cam pointed before I disassembled it.  Since it will install either way, does the index mark on the cam point toward the 1-4 or the 2-3 of the ND advance unit? 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal