Author Topic: 400/4 Garaged over the winter.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
400/4 Garaged over the winter.
« on: December 23, 2023, 06:48:34 PM »
As above. mines not been used since nipping over to Roo's house for help/schooling. I was in the garage earlier cleaning the z (every other week through the winter to keep it up to scratch) as i use it every day for work. Finished cleaning and thought "hmm...may as well kick the 400 over as its not been started for a while....famous last words.....i did get it started but only just after about 15 mins or so of firing the starter/choke on and off and then once i got it started coaxing it into life...once running if i snapped the throttle open it would die instantly but not all the time....question is, am i right in thinking im gonna need to nip round the block on this once a month just to keep stuff turned over? Both my Hyper and moreso the RSV4 start on the button after being left for 6 months....so guessing with the 400 it is what it is...and old carbed bike or does it need further tuning?

Any guidance/advice is greatly accepted! - oh - yes it does stay on an optimate as well.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 Garaged over the winter.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »
Do you run the fuel out on the 400  before leaving it for a month or more -  as draining it is a bit of a faff I just run it with the tap off until it will no longer run. Always starts again when I open the tap let the carbs fill up - second kick and it goes quicker if I use the starter button.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 07:24:02 PM »
If you start it and don't drive it to get it up to its correct operating temperature, what happens to all the moisture that's produced. I've managed to keep my OE exhaust system intact for nearly 15 years now. I do not start it unless I'm taking it our for a run.  Anyway, enough of that, I wish you all a very pleasant and peaceful Christmas, and good riding in the New Year,  Mike.

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 08:52:26 PM »
Cheers lads....yes - last time i used it i swtiched the fuel off....maybe i should have ran it til the fuel drained from the carbs? i did nip out in the garage just now and it pretty well started on the button (didnt go out on it) as it was wet outside....i think its gonna be dry tomorrow so ill take it round the block. I think ill probably take it out for a quick spin. Guessing ill do this once a month....?

Anyway happy xmas all....thanks for all the help ive had this year.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 09:58:39 PM by ComfySofa »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 10:14:42 PM »
It's a grind but to be sure you really need to drain the float bowls if you intend the bike to sit for any length of time, just running it till the engine stops still leaves fuel in the bowls, as soon as the fuel gets to the level of the jets it will stop, that can leave enough in the bowls to tar up like they do.

Believe it or not but there is a special bowl designed for draining the bowls, you can see it on Mike Nixons video if you're interested. Personally I've never seen one before but it does look handy to have. It's 54 seconds into this video, anyone know where to source one please post a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5E0NASixo4

Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 10:57:49 AM by Deano400 »

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
I'm sure you could knock summat up using pvc pipe and solvent weld glue but the idea is good.
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2023, 12:26:16 PM »
Shallow takeaway container works for no cost.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 02:54:27 PM »
FWIW, I store 5 motorcycles (2 with carbs) and 3 cars (1 with carbs) for up to 7 months.  They sit in garages (in different locations) with the batteries disconnected (no trickle chargers).  Before storage I put StaBil in each fuel tank per the StaBil directions and then run them for 10 miles or thereabouts. After the storage period I connect the battery and hit the starter (use choke as normal for carbed engines).  They all start as if they had been running yesterday.  I've been doing that for nearly 15 years now.  I'm sure other brand fuel stabilizers work but StaBil is the only brand I have ever used.

Re my not using trickle/smart battery chargers: the vehicles are unattended during storage with no one living on the premises.  Years ago I had a battery explode due to a charger malfunctioning so I don't trust chargers that are unmonitored for months.  I've never had an instance of a disconnected/reconnected battery failing to spin the starter normally after the storage period. 

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 11:28:35 PM »
Stabil.... Never heard of that's stuff before... I'll order some...cheers.

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 11:33:00 PM »
Sounds like it might be easier just to give it a quick run every now and again... Must confess I'm not sure....

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 10:53:49 AM »
FWIW, I store 5 motorcycles (2 with carbs) and 3 cars (1 with carbs) for up to 7 months.  They sit in garages (in different locations) with the batteries disconnected (no trickle chargers).  Before storage I put StaBil in each fuel tank per the StaBil directions and then run them for 10 miles or thereabouts. After the storage period I connect the battery and hit the starter (use choke as normal for carbed engines).  They all start as if they had been running yesterday.  I've been doing that for nearly 15 years now.  I'm sure other brand fuel stabilizers work but StaBil is the only brand I have ever used.

Re my not using trickle/smart battery chargers: the vehicles are unattended during storage with no one living on the premises.  Years ago I had a battery explode due to a charger malfunctioning so I don't trust chargers that are unmonitored for months.  I've never had an instance of a disconnected/reconnected battery failing to spin the starter normally after the storage period.

Went looking for interesting views on this product...found https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/143437-stabil-whats-really.html with reasonable in depth discussion at the thread ending. 
I've not used it, but does appear to get positive appreciation when people dose and evaluate.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 11:35:39 AM »
You could try this stuff from Briggs and Stratton.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/products/care-products/fuel-fit.html

Pick it up at your local garden machinery shop and save online postage charges.

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 01:19:40 PM »
Thanks! So, just been out on it....up to the local bypass....open it up a bit....clear it out, as it were...

Its a good few months since ive been out on it and then, it had just been rebuilt so i only had a dozen go`s on it as it was freshly rebuilt (each time i opened it up a little more ) so im not really sure what to expect from it...

Back to today....nothing wrong as such but a few questions....

First and foremost the tickover is now on about 2k....so that needs adjusting....and that question....is that where its been left to stand or, just general adjustment (does it need that now and again)- or it is where everything is settling down..?

Next, power: i just took it up the local bypass...last time i was on it i was dipping into the 7 -8k rev range...today i took it a little higher...going up the bypass (literally a slight uphill slope - the A4174 if anyone is closeby) in top gear it wouldnt go past 7k - now i dont know why that is? is that where the motor hasnt been stretched (to use the best phrase i can) or is that a limitation of the engine/bike, im fully aware its not state of the art racer and that doesnt bother me in the slightest as its not for that, but want to be sure that theres not some other reason its down on power....but it might not be...that being said on the return downhil it was accelerating fine (dipped into 9k very quickly) - i must confess its quite unnverving taking an old engine that high but Bryan did say some time ago that its more than happy up there....

Far left hand bank is a bit ticky but ive got my adjustment tool now so thats the next on the cards. Ill be changing the oil soon as this is its first lot in there since the build.

As i say just general questions from someone who hasnt owned a carbed bike for well over 30 years and owning stuff at the other end of the spectrum (1100 Ducati twin) amongst other bikes ive got which is a lazy big potted motor that does all its work around 2 - 7k!!

Thanks all for the replies...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal