Author Topic: Starting in cold weather  (Read 771 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Starting in cold weather
« on: December 26, 2023, 05:15:03 PM »
My bike lives outside under a bike cover. I've always had a bit of an issue starting the engine first thing in very cold weather, today no exception,  ::) I had to use the starter button for a few minutes before she finally decided to fire up. Is this just a norm with the CB400F or am I missing something?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Starting in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 07:22:31 PM »
If it's always been that way I would suspect moisture ingress is causing HT spark loss.
Other possibilities might include an air leak on the intake side.

My old Ariel Leader would only start from cold in the winter if I flooded the carbs using the top float button.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 10:10:34 AM »
As Ted notes, susceptibility to any moisture with ignition system may stack it a little against easy starting.

Specifically the HT leads, have a look at them in the dark while cranking it to assess for any....even minor...evidence of sparks tracking to earth. I had a king lead, from coil to distribution, leaking when cold and damp. With iffy cold start but OK when going, looked like a hairy caterpillar near to any earth castings, all a sort of furry fog of leakage compromising the sparks.

Also try differing method to possibly help. Crank it without choke for a couple of seconds, then ping the choke on while still rotating the engine to see if it'll pick it up sooner by firing. With plugs cold and maybe a little damp from fuel they can be reluctant to provide competent spark initially, cranking without choke applied first just pushes les fuel damp air through the combustion chamber initially and may sway the conditions to slightly more favourable to get that first fire going.

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 11:01:47 AM »
Way back then, my 750K2 would always difficult to start once it had sat for a while, e.g. overnight, or even all day, in cold damp weather.

I used to carry a small blow torch in the top box and use this to warm up / dry up the plug caps and leads and it would fire up immediately :o

Now I have new coils and it starts with no problem; it rarely sits outside in cold and damp nowadays mind.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 04:45:01 PM »
Way back then, my 750K2 would always difficult to start once it had sat for a while, e.g. overnight, or even all day, in cold damp weather.

I used to carry a small blow torch in the top box and use this to warm up / dry up the plug caps and leads and it would fire up immediately :o

Now I have new coils and it starts with no problem; it rarely sits outside in cold and damp nowadays mind.
.  This is the image I have of you Sean!!! Happy New Year.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 05:03:01 PM »
If it is spark leakage if you get up early in the morning in the darkness you might actually see some sparking in the wrong places. Back in the 1960s WD40 made it's name in damp foggy cold England as it had the engine running before the battery was flat.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 08:51:06 PM »
Now I have new coils and it starts with no problem;
As it happens I've just ordered a new set of coils, I live in hope.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 09:02:04 PM »
Maybe a nice neighbour or bike club member has space in their nice warm garage?!
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 10:18:10 PM »

.  This is the image I have of you Sean!!! Happy New Year.

Close enough!  ;D
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal