Author Topic: Hello from Pacific Washington USA  (Read 1124 times)

Offline ozzybud

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Hello from Pacific Washington USA
« on: December 26, 2023, 09:01:18 PM »
Hi all my name is Chris Osborne. I have an all Honda collection and recently added a 1975 CB400f. going to to a cosmetic restoration on it including new rims and spokes. i do all my own work and learn from these forums and YouTube.  i will attach some pics. I am interested in locating some clutch basket damper cushions. I have seen some talk on here about someone making them. it has 20k miles ans its definitely making some racket,
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 10:04:02 PM by ozzybud »
1976 Z50 YELLOW
1970 CT70 BLUE
1971 CT70H ORANGE
1972 CT70H GREEN
1973 CL200 BLUE
1975 CB360T RED
1975 CB400F BLUE
1975 CB550 ORANGE
1976 CB750F RED

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Pacific Washington USA
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 10:42:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Chris - I'm sure someone will be along to help shortly to help.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 02:35:01 AM »
There was a member on here called Max who was making replacement damping rubbers for the 400-4. However, you should be aware that he’s now left the forum after certain members harassed him.

Afaik I’m the only member still in contact with him, he has told me he’ll be making a few more sets in the new year, he’s making just a couple of the B sets and around 6-8 sets of the A set. There are 2 different versions of the rubbers so you must find out which version your basket has before you try and replace them.

Whether Max puts them on eBay himself or whether he’s supplying me with some sets to sell onward hasn’t been determined yet. When he makes a decision about that I’ll let people know.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline ozzybud

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 03:24:53 AM »
How will I know if it's A or B?  Another post mentions they are different by the CC
398 or 408. Mine is a 408. I did not know the 400f had different Cc's
1976 Z50 YELLOW
1970 CT70 BLUE
1971 CT70H ORANGE
1972 CT70H GREEN
1973 CL200 BLUE
1975 CB360T RED
1975 CB400F BLUE
1975 CB550 ORANGE
1976 CB750F RED

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 04:10:38 AM »
I must admit to not knowing that as well and I was in the trade. However I trust Max to know what he’s talking about. Best to wait until he’s made them and then I’d say dismantle your basket (or buy a spare) see what’s in there and then order a set. I can recall seeing 398cc on some barrels so the fact yours show 408 means he must be right.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 05:08:29 AM »
Hi Chris and welcome here, I hope and trust you'll find what you need!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline ozzybud

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 06:06:12 AM »
I did a little research on the 398cc vs 408cc and it seems some countries had regulations limiting the displacement to under 400. All US bikes had the 408cc jugs. not sure about the UK
1976 Z50 YELLOW
1970 CT70 BLUE
1971 CT70H ORANGE
1972 CT70H GREEN
1973 CL200 BLUE
1975 CB360T RED
1975 CB400F BLUE
1975 CB550 ORANGE
1976 CB750F RED

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 06:30:42 AM »
Yeah it seems France and Japan got the 398 versions, the UK must have imported some from France to alleviate demand in the UK as I’ve seen a few 398cc barrels.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »
That’s interesting. Where the 398 heads modified in any way to maintain the CR. Or where the 408 engines by default higher compression?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 03:36:43 PM »
There was a member on here called Max who was making replacement damping rubbers for the 400-4. However, you should be aware that he’s now left the forum after certain members harassed him.

That is so sad to read Ken that a member here harassed him so he left this site. Max has been a great help to me sadly victims of bullying seldom complain - whoever it was should be outed & banned from this site by our moderator. We do not need that sort of person here whoever it was & whatever their skill or level of knowedge . Bullies should not be allowed to thrive here whoever they might be.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »
That’s interesting. Where the 398 heads modified in any way to maintain the CR. Or where the 408 engines by default higher compression?

No, it seems Honda fitted a different crankshaft with a slightly smaller stroke on the rods, however checking the CMS site doesn't reflect this, same part numbers for all markets they list there. Unless someone has a genuine Honda paper parts book (or fiche) we'll not know what the part number of the different crankshaft is.

Why change the clutch basket at the same time is the mystery for me, makes no sense. Unless the engines were assembled in a different factory to the other type and the baskets came from a different supplier.

That is so sad to read Ken that a member here harassed him so he left this site. Max has been a great help to me sadly victims of bullying seldom complain - whoever it was should be outed & banned from this site by our moderator. We do not need that sort of person here whoever it was & whatever their skill or level of knowledge . Bullies should not be allowed to thrive here whoever they might be.

Steve is aware of it Ted. However unless Max complains himself I suspect Steve feels constrained to act, I wasn't aware there was a problem until Max left, I've repeatedly asked him to come back but he just says it's easier this way, he doesn't want the hassle, got to say, I know exactly how he feels. Sometimes walking away is a lot easier than facing the problem. I'll keep trying to get him to come back though.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2023, 04:09:54 PM »
That is why Bullies thrive be at Schools, at a Work Place or on Sites like this they are scum - they prey on the vulnerable or weak for their own gratification.

A friend of mine was a moderator on a Model Building Site I know that it is not difficult to not only block them but the IP address they hide in if they try to join under another guise. It's one reason why I do not like sites where members can hide under a cloak of anonymity.

Whoever you are you should leave this site voluntarily so we can have members who add to our site we do not need your type here. You shoud hang you head in shame - I spent most of my working life dealing with similar pond life - they usually were the perpertators of domestic violence or worse. That includes coercive & controlling behaviour not necessarily actual physical violence

Shame on you.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 04:18:00 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2023, 04:16:30 PM »
That is a real shame Ken! I think more highly of the forum than the thought of someone feeling they would rather be out of it because of harassment. I don’t know anything about it or the history so maybe not for me to comment. Oops! I maybe just did!🫣 In my opinion people like Max are invaluable for their particular interest and skill in producing parts that are no longer available. Not to be confused with someone who just wants to churn out some inferior junk to line their pockets!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »
Let it drop Ted. Yes I agree with you 100% BUT unless the person being harassed complains and states specific instances I don't think the moderators can do much.

Then there is the who is doing it problem, imagine you're new to the site, you upset another member for whatever reason, they feel they are entitled to be upset, they set out to get their own back, they harass the hell out of you, maybe via PM or maybe by just constantly casting doubt on your posts, whatever method they do it's wrong BUT you're new, they ain't. You feel you wouldn't be listened to because you are new and they aren't, so what do you do? You walk away, cut you're losses, move onto another forum and maybe try again or just say sod it, I'll not put myself out there again to help other people because of the problems that can cause. No one wants aggravation, in this instance it's not a work place or a school where you have to be there, so walk away and the problem goes away. Simple really but wrong on some many levels.

You also have to factor in that the person or persons doing this may feel they are not doing anything wrong, they may not appreciate the damage caused or they may feel vindicated in causing it because they feel they are entitled t do it because of some imagined comments etc. Shame on you won't work in that instance.

Lets leave it to Steve, it may work itself out in the end. And maybe, just maybe, some other members reads this and thinks they'll say something and not suffer in silence.

Sorry for the thread hijack Ozzybud, wasn't intended.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »
Hi, Ken. Please do let Max know he has our support, sympathy and gratitude.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal