Author Topic: Bahco adjustable spanner - Sept 2023 Classic Bike article  (Read 418 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Bahco adjustable spanner - Sept 2023 Classic Bike article
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:40:01 PM »
Just been reading a bunch of bike mags given to me by my BiL Dave - on the outer cover was the photo of half a spanner.

Went to page 54 where an article expounded the virtues of a well made adjustable spanner by BAHCO - that rings a bell I thought so nipped into my cold garage - there on my tool rack hangs an adjustable spanner that belonged to my late father.

I can't put an exact date when mine was made  it but I think I was sort of given it sometime around 1975 - model 972  10" so an earlier version of the 8072 featured in the article. I always knew it was the best adjustable I have ever used just did not know why.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 03:44:25 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bahco adjustable spanner - Sept 2023 Classic Bike article
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 04:52:50 PM »
Ted, Bahco have always made great, strong shifters mate, i always had one with me on the ships.
You could actualy get them with metric or imperial graduations on the jaws

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 05:05:55 PM »
Ted, Bahco have always made great, strong shifters mate, i always had one with me on the ships.
You could actualy get them with metric or imperial graduations on the jaws

Mine would be imperial as it's at the very least over 50 yrs old might be more as my Dad gave up spannering & moved into sales by 1960.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 06:26:42 PM »
One of my distant ancestors from Eastington in Gloucestershire invented the adjustable spanner and lawnmower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Beard_Budding

About ten years ago I went to the tip near me after work  just as it was closing and there was a set of Bahco adjustables ( 6 in total ..some black some chrome) lying in as pool of rainwater. Shoved them up my jacket when nobody was looking.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 06:30:17 PM »
  I've had them for years sizes  from 6" to 18" and only ever broken one and that was with total abuse using a 4ft length of 2" pipe on A 15" one I
  had cut an extra tooth on the movable jaw enabling it to open wider than they are designed to do. Carrying a 10" and !5 " on your belt was a very
  common practice in pits to save carrying a heavy bag of spanners for miles. I must still have 7 or 8 of them in varying sizes.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 07:44:40 PM »
I still have my Bahco spanners into retirement, after many years use in heavy engineering, as good as the day i bought them, and yes, some of that use with a length of pipe on them as leverage.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal