SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Done any touring on the 400?

(1/3) > >>

Mikep328:
My wife and I are thinking of joining some friends who are doing a two-week tour of France/Italy in May on motorcycles.  They will be hiring motos in Italy.  We would be riding ours from the UK.

My wife would be on her Honda NC750 and though I have a current litre-bike available, I am thinking of riding the 400.   It is now my favorite motorbike to ride for the type of riding we enjoy...day rides on twisty back roads.  But that's quite different  from touring with the necessary "luggage" for several weeks of riding.  I'm also wondering if the hi-revving little four would lose some of its appeal in such use, becoming "buzzy" and annoying rather than fun.  Anybody done this sort of thing on the 400? 

Back in the day I rode my Honda CL350 across most of the USA but I was in my early 20s then and luggage/comfort were of minimal concern! But I don't even know who that guy was!  :)

TrickyMicky:
This is purely a personal opinion, but if you consider your bike to be in very good mechanical and safe  condition, then there is no reason not to use it for touring.  One of my main criteria when riding anywhere is to avoid motorways and similar like the plague. These bikes were more than capable in their heyday, but nowadays we are outgunned by virtually any type of family car being driven by someone who has NOT been taught to drive, only how to pass their test. Plus of course, where is the enjoyment of just riding a motorcycle in a straight line?  I don't do the mileage that I used to years ago, but a couple of times a year I visit a lifelong fellow rider which involves a 140 mile ride from Suffolk to Sussex.  No sat-nav, so it's a case of using a map and plotting a route using minor A and B roads all the way. (Apart from the Dartford crossing!). The following few days are spent touring Kent and Sussex using back roads which is totally what these bikes were made for.  I normally(sic) keep my rev limit to about 7-8.000, but in general I cruise at about 60-65MPH and enjoy the ride and the scenery.  Regarding carrying luggage, the kit that is available nowadays is beyond belief, and bear in mind that the bike was designed to be capable of carrying a pillion passenger, so if you are riding solo, weight of luggage should not be a problem. Spare spark plugs, points and condensers,  clutch cable, fuses, and a good breakdown recovery membership card.  I have listened to many people who have told great stories of riding the length of France without using the Autoroutes. Go and enjoy yourself. Regards, Mike.

Rozabikes Tim:
Go for it I say without motorways, you see and appreciate lots more. French A roads are very good and often run pretty parallel to the motorway. I drive there regularly all be it in a car. Typically much less traffic and allied stress. French tend to respect bikes with and without engines. The bike should be fine as long as the rest of the group want to really press on

SteveD CB500K0:
Load all the luggage on the NC750 and have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flatfour:
My friend used his 1970 CB750 for many trips to France and Belgium until it was sold in around 2016. He was riding with myself, my daughter and my brother, all of whom were using modern bikes (me Kawasaki 1400 GTR, my daughter Honda NC700X and my brother a new Honda CB1100).

Each year we would head off to Dijon for the Coupe de Moto Legende and then Spa for the Biker Classic. To reach Dijon we always route via the A26 to Reims and then on to Dijon, on the return we would ride the backroads as time was unimportant.

During these trips, the CB750 never failed (neither did the other bikes, although perhaps failure on something relatively new would not really be expected.

Over some ten years of use, the CB750 covered around 30,000 miles in this manner. We modern bike riders did, however help with the luggage, as we all had top boxes and panniers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version