SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Done any touring on the 400?

<< < (2/3) > >>

davidcumbria:
just my opinion but i have ridden through France a few times. Its further than you think and if you have a bike that is more comfortable for long distances I would use that. ergos, quietness and windprotection at speed are priorities over 'charm and character'. Have a great trip in any case...

Aye Gee 1977:
As a younger man on a younger CB400F I toured Ireland on honeymoon in 1982, two up and staying in hotels.  In 1983 we went camping in the Swiss Alps via Belgium, Germany and Austria all within a week.  It performed well and was capable of carrying the luggage in hard panniers, tank bag and rear rack.  The second trip resulted in several broken spokes in the rear wheel by the time we returned.

As the CB400F was becoming rather worn-out, it was retired in favour of a CX500B which was a better touring bike, but not something you could love so much.  Quite how either bike would feel today in such circumstances in hard to know

I have just finished restoring the CB400F - and started the engine only yesterday, for the first time in 40 years.  Looking back at my contemporary records, I have been surprised how much time and effort was required to keep a comparatively new bike running well.  Maybe I'll post the various problems and issues sometime.

ttr400:

Done lots of touring on my CB400F.

Flew the bike from South Africa to the USA and then from Canada to Frankfurt.
Built it specifically to do some traveling on. i made all the luggage racks etc and used Givi luggage.
To date put around 45000 km's on a trip around up down across the USA/ Canada, all of Ireland 2 trips to Italy and last year went to Iceland. (need to do a write up on this as it was quite something....!!!
Was just in the UK and did a refresh on the bike as i am also going down to Italy in May. with a friend who rides a Africa Twin.

I did a write up about the trip across the USA, i posted it on the facebook CB400F group it is in 5 parts. go check it out (you might have to be a member) look up ttr400

Kevin

ted_paper:
If you're planning to do long distances, make sure that your seat and backside can take it.
I find that a quick blast on an afternoon doesn't quite compare to 180miles+ day after day  :D

SeanFD:
What TTr400 said.

Nowadays we all tend to overthink things.

If the bike is sound mechanically, and you're not in a hurry, just go for it. Take your time and enjoy the ride; you'll look back on the experience with much fonder memories too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version