General > New Member Introductions

a Hello from Frome o/

(1/5) > >>

rmii:
Hello, good morning and happy Thursday!!

After a few years without a bike (prioritising a house purchase), and another at least 2 years looking for a GL1000/1100... I bought a 1976 CB550 \o/. She will probably be named "Sara", I need to see how she looks after everything done :)

Romulo here, I can say that coming from the MX5 club (not bad there), I am impressed with the amount of knowledge sharing and attention, and fun you guys have (I do love an oil thread (and fuel) but will not dare ever to start one). Happy to say hello and go for a ride at any time. *After my bike is re-assembled 😅

My idea was to buy a running bike that needed basic service (oils, filters, refurb brake) and enjoy it before doing a full restoration. BUT, after having it delivered I could see that the seat, although original is not for the model, there were a few too many electric cables "trimmed". I've decided to strip it down and go for "my approach to a full restoration".
Includes:

* Front brake refurb and direct braided hose to caliper - Hel really helps with the custom service. I've also added a brake switch to the caliper to simplify everything
* Fork spring and oil + shocks from Hagon
* The original idea was to keep the original electrics, so I bought new handlebar + switch gear (Classic bike shop), but ended up deciding for M-unit and replacing everything related: switch, turn signals, tail light and everything to led from Classic car Leds. I am keeping the airbox as I like it, but I am making custom air filters for the top and to replace the one that separates the air/oil coming back from the engine
* Because of the new switch gear, I had to buy a clutch lever and a throttle assembly, not too worried how it will look at the moment
* New seat from Texavina, as I don't have the hinge (very hard to find/buy), I've decided to go 3D printing, I have printed a model waiting the seat to arrive to see how it will go
* I bought a NGK HT lead join/splitter to fix one bad cable, but whilst the bike is stripped, I might consider buying coils that can have "plugged cables instead of fixed ones (accepting any advice here)
* The bike doesn't have its original colour (brown) and I am pretty sure I will go with BRG and will see :)
* I also don't like the original 4 to 4 exhaust, so I will probably go Delkevic 4 to 1
Apart from that, not going to chop anything, going to just clean, patch/treat//protect and polish all old chrome for now, replace the tyres and, not do anything else to it for at least 1 year (replenish funds).

*I will most probably sell all the original parts I've removed and the new switchgear I bought. Feel free to ping me about that or anything else.

Thanks for the space o/

Matt_Harrington:
Welcome. There will be plenty of help here if you need it!

Nurse Julie:
Welcome to the forum.

Bryanj:
When you have enough posts pics would be welcome and, depending on modle and conditio exhaust will sell easy

Johnny4428:
Welcome Romulo, sounds like you’ve been busy already with the 550. Great time of year to be getting road worthy for the spring, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version