Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2897 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
I have just registered on this forum after lurking for a while so here follows the usual introduction.

I have owned a CB400F2  since about 1980. During the early years it was used for commuting to work during the summer.  Over winter a bit of painting here and there was done to keep it tidy.  I started off by painting the swinging arm and before I knew it, the frame had been stripped, blasted and hand painted in synthetic coach enamel together with most of my mum's deep freezer.

Due to lack of time and finances, from 1985 to 1987 , the bike then sat in the garage for a few years until I completed a university degree part time and then I suddenly found myself with a lot of time on my hands. While using the bike I replaced or refurbished a few bits here and there. Around that time NOS parts were easy to come by and usually cheaper that re-chroming or re-painting.

About 1990 it was treated to a new head gasket to cure a slight weep near the cam chain tunnel and a new primary and cam chain was fitted at the same time together with one of the first gear gogs that had the worn bronze bush. Carbs were stripped, bead blasted and all steel parts replated.

The original tank spring a leak where an aftermarket seat base had chewed away at the back corner. NOS tank and seat were acquired from Dave Silver and fitted.

In 1999 it came away with  the best 70's Honda at the 1999 VJMC annual show, I don' know why since it wasn't particularly pristine at the time because it was in daily use. I only parked it in the concours arena because the parking looked more secure and one of the officials said "why don't you park it over there".

Since then very little in the way of major work has been done.

Due to working away from home the bike fell out of use again from 1996 and was put back on the road 2 years ago after a long struggle with gummed up carb internals. More on this in my next post.

So, any questions along the lines of where does this bit go, or what goes here, I'm your man.

Things I would do differently next time,

1). Don't try to un stick brake caliper pistons in the kitchen by heating it up in a pot of hot water ,opening up the bleed nipple and stamping on it with your foot. It makes a mess of curtains and walls when it lets go. Leave the pipework connected and dismount the caliper and drop it into a bucket.  Use the brake lever to pump it out, topping up the reservoir as needed.

2).Make sure that the blind oil seal /blanking plug on the gearshaft end is located properly before bolting up the crankcases. I had to push it a mile home when the oil light came on.

Regards
DJW

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
Hi and welcome, I was most impressed with the method of freeing off the brake piston, a right proper chuckle was heard coming from my study.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
Hi DJW welcome to the site
pete

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:53:25 AM »
Made me smile too! : )
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »
welcome to the site
steve
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
The brake caliper trick was repeated by me yesterday all over the side-panel, frame, seat and less concer- garden fence! Ive never had a concourse 400/4- only ones that need work and now and then when things go wrong the self-doubt steps in- these forums a great for that! My last 400 was probably in about '88- and spares were easier to come by. I know I got most of mine from Paul Smarts of Maidstone- now theres a name from the past! Spare engines were readily available at 50 quid a go from bike breakers.... and Genesis was always on the tape-player in the garage....
Welcome to this Forum!

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
Good Evening,

A warm Welcome to you  :D

COLIN.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal