Author Topic: Freeview loss of music channels  (Read 927 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Freeview loss of music channels
« on: March 03, 2024, 10:41:43 PM »
I live in a poor signal area where our nearest Transmitter - Nottingham can't be received, we have to settle for the Sutton Coldfield Transmitter  & West Midlands News so no local Derby News.

This is not a biggie as we could use our Freesat Box for East Midlands News - we have now lost lost our Satelite Signal as the old Sky dish must be 20 years old.

To make it all worse we seem to have lost a few Freeview channels such as Thats 60s & Thats 90s music. Visually the Aerial on the roof looks okay - new Ariel & signal booster was fitted in 2018 after our fire.

What is the most likely cause of the Freeview loss of signal?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:54:03 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Freeview loss of music channels
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 11:00:38 PM »
I would start by checking the points gap Ted ☺️☺️☺️☺️
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 11:07:41 PM »
Try unplugging everything to do with the Freeview Ted and leaving for 30 seconds before switching back on. I've had similar issues with our Virgin TiVo box and that usually cures it.
I guess the Freeview equipment is in the TV but worth unplugging anyway just to check.
My 90 year old mother received a letter from e-on a couple of weeks ago advising her the BBC are closing down a number of transmitters across the country in a few weeks and this will affect her existing electricity and gas meter and she needs to switch to a smart meter! I don't know if this is true or just BS by E-on to get her to change to a smart meter that she doesn't want.
On the bright side you haven't missed anything on the TV, it's all rubbish 🥱.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 11:51:02 PM »
I havn't had a TV in many years and I don't miss it or the extortionate license fee! For free music I just love smoothradio.com , I access it from here: https://internetradiouk.com/
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 08:04:08 AM »
The electricity bit is for economy 7 & 10 users where the meters take a time signal from a bbc signal that is being shut down and the only way to keep those tarrifs is a smart meter, you do not HAVE to hae one but if you donou loose the cheaper overnight tarrif

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 08:41:56 AM »
I live in a poor signal area where our nearest Transmitter - Nottingham can't be received, we have to settle for the Sutton Coldfield Transmitter  & West Midlands News so no local Derby News.

This is not a biggie as we could use our Freesat Box for East Midlands News - we have now lost lost our Satelite Signal as the old Sky dish must be 20 years old.

To make it all worse we seem to have lost a few Freeview channels such as Thats 60s & Thats 90s music. Visually the Aerial on the roof looks okay - new Ariel & signal booster was fitted in 2018 after our fire.

What is the most likely cause of the Freeview loss of signal?
Could be they moved the channels,

Have you done a channel scan, update?

Otherwise, try a smart speaker,
Just shout,or tell it to play what you like,
I have an Alexa,

It gets me

60s rock
Classic rock
Gold
Boom radio
Boomrock
Greatest hits radio, with popmaster!
And very occasionally Radio 2,

And 4xtra

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 08:45:04 AM »
We have economy 7 - the old meter was clock work. The new one is a digital box we do not have a Smart Meter. When they shut down the old mobile 2G &3G networks the Smart Meters will mostly be obsolete. I have read that the majority of the early roll out meters will need replacing. Some later module built units might be easier to upwards convert.

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 08:55:19 AM »
Have you tried doing a fresh tuning scan Ted?

Sent from my HTC Desire 20 Pro using Tapatalk

Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 08:55:52 AM »
I've tried the retune trick  on my  Panasonic TV and Humax recorder Johnny. Oddly enough it appears to show a decent signal on lost channels but no picture or sound.

I'm going to try and unplug today - I've found a local Satellite bloke how might be able to fix both. The signal booster in our eaves is mains powered so he can test that if it's a roof position that has been messed up by the wind & rain.

Wendy wants to go back to the Virgin money Pit that was actually good but more like having a mortgage after the initial contract period.The BT was poor. Sky was a v.g. picture but we had issues with their old hardware.

PS I've checked for software updates on the TV & Recorder unit

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 11:08:52 AM »
The electricity bit is for economy 7 & 10 users where the meters take a time signal from a bbc signal that is being shut down and the only way to keep those tarrifs is a smart meter, you do not HAVE to hae one but if you donou loose the cheaper overnight tarrif

Thanks Brianj. She doesn't have economy 7 just a bog standard tariff via AgeUK. The eon meter reader has to say a security password to get into her flat to read the meter but they NEVER say it and she still lets them in! I have told eon they must use the password in future or else they dont get in, im not botheed about them but I am bothered about the safety of my 90 year old mother especially in London that is full of low-life's. Three times in a row the e-on meter reader has failed to say the password so he didn't get in. Ever since my phone call e-on have bombarded my mother with letters telling her she MUST have a smart meter installed. At first they said it would cost her nothing???, then they offered to plant a tree as a thank you!, now they are using the radio signal is being switched off even though she is not on economy 7!

Ted,
We wre with Virgin and we have never paid the full price for the service. We joined with an 18 month discount and when that ended they tried to double the price so I told them we were leaving and hey presto a half price deal was agreed!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 11:23:12 AM »
Yep re Virgin media and not accepting their price. Just recontracted at £43/month. Not whistles and bells TV but have TNT Sport (as was BT), Eurosport, so sorted on the bikes, plus wifi and telephone (i don't want or use)
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 02:00:57 PM »
Dave if she dont have the economy 7 it wont matter, tell eon to sod off you aint having a smart meter and the next time they try you will report them for harrasment

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 04:11:49 PM »
Ted,
We wre with Virgin and we have never paid the full price for the service. We joined with an 18 month discount and when that ended they tried to double the price so I told them we were leaving and hey presto a half price deal was agreed!

I was with VM for about 19 years when I switched to Sky on a better deal VM would not budge, we flipped back to VM for a couple of years, then to BT, back to VM with TV etc, now pared back to Broadband only,  we dip in & out of Netflix & Amazon Prime for new TV.

Come the summer the TV will gather dust as I will be in the Garage all hours & Wendy will be working doing weddings. A local chap is coming on Wednesday to give me a free signal check & a quote to sort it all. Two firms via Check a Trade wanted almost £70 just to diagnose but will knock that off the final bill if I use them.......yep..I know that game.

Online Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 05:15:40 PM »
I havn't had a TV in many years and I don't miss it or the extortionate license fee! For free music I just love smoothradio.com , I access it from here: https://internetradiouk.com/

Actually Ted, that brings up a good idea - get a streaming device that has internet radio on it - I use Yamahas (no, not that type!) around the house (MusicCast using WiFi) but I'm sure there are many options
and providing you can get an internet signal then you have 1000'ds of stations to stream.....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 05:22:15 PM »
My garage is at the bottom of our garden so naff all wi-fi signal. I do have a dab radio/CD unit that I have hooked up to rafter mounted speakers - musk while I work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal