Author Topic: Gummed up Carbs and modern fuel  (Read 9133 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Gummed up Carbs and modern fuel
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Best grab a mug of coffee - this is a bit of a long post.

Two years ago, after my 400/4 had been laid up for a couple or more years, I have had to jump through all of the usual hoops to get the carbs cleaned up and working again.

On opening them up I was faced with a solid coating of brown varnish and the floats stuck solid on their pivots.

I completely stripped them and soaked everything in methylated spirit for a couple of days. Most of the varnish turned to a brown powder which came off easily with a tooth brush and soapy water. I found that the usual carb cleaners evaporated too quickly to be of any use. After an initial clean up I could remove the main jet , emulsion tube and pilot jet.  I was still left with the stuck floats. After mangling one float trying to work it loose by spraying carb cleaner over the pivot and wiggling it, I eventually had some success with using a gas soldering iron with the miniature hot air attachment to locally heat up the pivot enough to soften the varnish and was then able to push out the pin.

The whole lot was soaked again in jam jars of methylated spirit and the jars were dropped into an ultrasonic bath in the hope of cleaning the hard to reach places.  After rinsing off and blowing through with an air line the small passages were treated to a blast of carb cleaner, and catching what came put on some paper to make sure it was clean.

Main jet, float valve and pilot jet were replaced with genuine Honda items together with all of the O rings. Float heights set. After statically balancing the carbs everything seemed to be in order apart from one incontinent carb. As I have since found out this was the float that was mangled during disassembly. Basically the pivot and tang was out of alignment causing the tang to press on the needle at an odd angle and also the float was able to jam in the fully open position, hence the need to tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle when first switching on the fuel.

Fast Forward 2 years.

I finally got around to pulling off the carbs and sorting out the float problem by swapping all of them for a spare set. Reset the float heights again.  Just for good measure I put an airline on the fuel feed pipe at a very low pressure and was able to verify that the needles were sealing properly and at the right height. Once again, I checked all of the small passages were clear.

After all of this I am still left with a richness problem at low to medium throttle settings. After a few days in 30-40 mph limits the plugs are black with dry soot.  After wringing it's neck down the dual carriageway the plugs are a dark brown. Sometimes when sitting at traffic lights the pong from the exhaust makes your eyes water.

Also adjusting the pilot air screw does not change the engine speed.  I haven't balanced the carbs properly, there seems no point yet if the idle mixture is off.

Other symptoms - runs better from  idle to 3000 rpm when half warmed up, stumbles a little 2000-3500 when gently on/off the throttle when up to temperature.

Other snippets that I have found courtesy of google.

The black plastic float material can absorb fuel as the plastic ages and so give an artificially higher than normal fuel level
Modern fuels are more dense and rely on complex injection systems to correctly atomise the fuel
Modern fuels atomise poorly in carbs- droplets too big giving the symptom of running rich wheras the mixture is actually lean (?? )
Continued flooding of carbs can cause fuel in the oil which then gets recycled back to the air box causing over rich mixture
Some people have drilled extra cross feed holes in the emulsion tubes to improve matters

Also see this
 http://www.ksrc-au.com/Bike_Optimax.pdf

So, does any one believe any of the 5 snippets above or had experience of them?

By the way I am using the bog standard Shell unleaded and have used unleaded since it was first on the forecourts, prior to that I always ran on 3 star leaded.

Airbox , filter  jet sizes -  in fact everything is as Mr Honda intended.

Other sites recommend checking the needles again and oval wear to the top of the emulsion tubes, but at low throttle settings there shouldn't be any thing coming from them any way - or should there be?

I'm now just starting to add a fuel stabiliser so that I don't have to put up with gum and varnish again, Never had any problems like this with the good old leaded stuff.

Perhaps we could have a poll on here - how black are your plugs after pottering around town

One thing I do know that  causes problems is the tool tray cover migrating towards the air inlet and nudging up to the cut away in the inlet rubber.

My next move is to try a hotter plug for local riding, this is what Shell in Australia advised their customers to do
I'm clean out of ideas now - any suggestions?

Regards
Dave

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:27:47 PM by exvalvesetdabbler »

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
Re: Gummed up Carbs and modern fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
Hello Dave

A very informative post and something most of us know a little about but to me, you

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
That's a lot of work done to get it cleaned up and a pain if you can't get it up to scratch.

Hotter plugs in my opinion shouldn't correct anything but may give better running if they are fouling? as PatM says, you are probably looking at changing the jets to get more accurate delivery

My understanding of hotter plugs is that they have less of their ceramic insulator that is around the tip touching the plug body, the effect being to retain more heat at the tip and so prevent the spark area from fouling and producing no spark. The limit comes if the engine gets too hot and the plug tip then goes over temp and sarts to melt or cause pre-ignition / pinking.

The big risk for me in overfueling is that given sufficient over fueling the neat petrol will wash the cylinder bores free of oil causing high wear of bore and rings. Also dilution of the oil which leads to both cam and plain bearing wear ( basically it breaks down the lubrication film the oil is supposed to maintain during bearing loading) if the oil smells of petrol at all it needs replacing. It's this process that has accounted for a lot of engine wear over the years especially with manually operated chokes and one of the benefits of modern lean burn engines with accurate fueling is enhanced oil and thus material life in general use.

Anybody trying to clean carb components of gum may find it worthwhile soaking in neat diesel for a while to help  start of with.

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

There is only the needles and emulsion tubes left that hasn't been changed. The thing I can't figure out is that at idle and small throttle openings, the main jet and needle shouldn't be doing anything towards fuel delivery. What I am finding is that the plugs do start to clean up a bit with sustained higher throttle openings. If fuel was getting past the main jet o ring the problem should be worse at high throttle settings when the main jet comes into play.

So this leaves the idle circuit. From what I traced through, the small hole on the choke flap side is where the air goes in, the pilot air screw controls the air flow and it comes out of the small hole just in front of the needle on the engine side. This points to there being reduced air flow coming in and past the air screw.

I think I need to examine the small passages again and check for wear on the needles/emulsion tubes.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »
Dave

-or try another set of carbs off ebay.
the airflow will pull pule up any passage from the floatbowl. As Ive said- you are overfuelling and my guess is main jet seal or position.
If you were closer- Id say pop round and pick up my spare set

PatM

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »
My carbs were stripped and cleaned, set up and balanced in 1995 and they have been running well ever since.  I think any changes in fuel must be negligable because I have not had the problems you describe.  I am sure the variable here is your carbs which you are addressing. 

If a bike needs to be laid up it is good to drain the carbs completely.  When the big end failed on my CB350K in 1995 I took the carbs off, drained them and they lived in a box for fifteen years.  Recently, I rebuilt the engine; I simply rinsed out the carbs with petrol, put them on the bike and it fired up after about four kicks and runs fine.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
As on the 500/550 fours i'm sure that the 'O' rings that seal the inlet rubbers to the cylinder head...#108 on the fiche...
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-england_model14639/partslist/E01-1.html

...do perish & cause all sorts of headaches for people trying to find the problems with fuelling.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »
Since my last post I have has 3/4 of a success.

After making sure that the tool tray cover was well clear of the air inlet last weekend it seemed to run a little better. This evening I put some new plugs in and went for about a 10 mile jolly around town (mix of urban and dual carriageway).  I now have 3 very clean plugs and one completely black one . At least this gives me something to work with now. It certainly  starts to pulls well in the higher gears once the tacho gets above 6500. At 8500 its willing to go more but I'm not at this point.

I'm going to whip the carbs off again and see where the differences lie. I'm convinced that a bit of crud has been missed somewhere or the float tang isn't hitting the needle square on.  I'm not sure how critical that is other than if it's too far out the float drops too far and the needle drops too far and gets stuck.

So the plan for this weekend,

Change coil and plug cap on #3 pot (leads won't reach to swap 2+3 over)
bung in the best of the float valves from my junk box in #3 carb (just looking for a difference to what I have now)
check small passage ways on #3 carb
valve clearances on #3
leakdown test if I have time.

This leaves the question of whether the pilot jet in #3 is the wrong size so i'll swap it with one from another carb to see if the problem moves with it.

Since all of the float valves and jets were new genuine Honda a couple of years ago, I'm finding it hard to believe that they would be the wrong size or duff.

I'm using D8EA plugs at the moment however I remember dealers putting D8RESL at one time.
I know that the R means it's got a resistor in it but I'm not sure what the other differences are. These D8EA's must be a good 15 years old but new plugs shouldn't go off in storage should they?

What plugs are you guys using?

Regards
Dave.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »
Dave

A thought just occured to me- it wouldnt answer the problem completely- is your seat clear of the air intack? are the rubbers in the seat-base stilll servicable? if you take the air cleaner box cover off and theres a heap of difference- that would  explain something?

For me today

..then think of somewhere to ride it to.. :D

Happy tinkering!

PatM

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »
Mostly all heat range 8 for NGK plugs on Hondas of this era that I've worked with as it covers most things you use it for.

Very few times but 7s for concentrated low ambient temp running and maybe short journeys as it allows you to get off choke sooner and still run cleanly.

And 9s for concentrated high speed / high temp running to prevent the plug tip from going overtemp and possibly causing pinking.

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:26:34 PM »
Had a bit of a breakthrought today, I examined the emulsion tubes and noticed that one was corroded and larger than the other three right at the top where the fat part of the needle sits. In an impatient rush to try something I pulled an old set of carbs apart and salvaged a half decent one.

I can now hold 3000 rpm in top gear without it stumbling and snatching, even back on the throttle at 2000 in the lower gears is useable now.

The clutch basket sounds like a bag of spanners at tickover but that can easily be solved once I get a new set of tubes and needles in.

I'll give it a run around tomorrow and see what color the plugs are.

Regards
Dave

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »
Sounds like you may have something to work on then, it's worth having a real fine comb through.

Be interesting to see how you get on.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
Mostly all heat range 8 for NGK plugs on Hondas of this era that I've worked with as it covers most things you use it for.

Very few times but 7s for concentrated low ambient temp running and maybe short journeys as it allows you to get off choke sooner and still run cleanly.

And 9s for concentrated high speed / high temp running to prevent the plug tip from going overtemp and possibly causing pinking.

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/mc_search.php?type=SPARK%2520PLUGS&manufact=HONDA&model=CB400F1%252C%2520F2&engine=400
http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/mc_extra.php?id=947

There's an excellent thread on the American site that explains very well all about ND & NGK plugs. The plugs recommended for my old CB750F2 were the D8ES before the DR8ESL became available, but after the engine was....modified, I installed D8EV gold palladium items. When the bike was wiped out I had a box of these left over that went into my Exup 1000, & allowed the engine to run over a much greater heat range than the standard DR8ESL. As the D8EV is no longer available, I now use the D8EVX, which isn't the Iridium version, but is the middle option of the three.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
No more black plugs.

I went for spin today and I have just pulled the plugs and they all look ok.

I have attached a picture of the emulsion tube that was causing cylinder #3 to run rich. I have changed nothing else except swapping the plot jets between #3 and #4.

Thanks to PatM for the suggestion that fuel may have been getting past the main jet o ring, this wasn't the problem here but lead me in the direction of why too much fuel was getting past the needle at lower throttle settings when it should have been pulling it through the pilot jet, no doubt why the pilot air screw had little effect.

All of this goes to show that modern fuel is quite corrosive when it goes bad. I also read somewhere that fuel suppliers are soon to be adding even more bio ethanol to pump fuel, this is the last thing that we need.

Thanks
Dave

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Dave

I

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal