SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Battery oximiser

(1/6) > >>

Pauarc:
What are your thoughts on battery oximiser good or bad been given one can you leave connected all the time when bike not being used

paul G:
I found that if they are left connected all the time they dry out the battery (lead acid).
I have 4 but don't use them anymore.
I take the batteries off and just give them a top up charge every now and again.
They are kept in a box I made so they are not exposed to very cold temperatures over the winter.

Spitfire:
Not used that one, but my CB750F1 is always hooked up to my Optimate III which probbaly does the same thing as the one in your photo, I just leave the tail on the bike and hook up and disconnect when needed. But as said whatch the acid level as I did have one dry out a few years ago.

Cheers

Dennis

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
There are quite a few versions of what I call Smart Chargers - that looks like one of them.

I have a couple of C-Tek units my first unit is now 19 years old. It is connected to our little used car for about 10 months of the year 24/7 never had an issue with the battery drying out. I suspect that is due to it being a very low output unit sold as a Merc Part for liitle used vehicles

I bought a clone version from Aldi that went faulty after about 18 months - the mode button failed.

I replaced that with the MXS-5 version mainly for car batteries but it has a bike mode so I use it for regular bike top ups - works with Lead Acid, & AGM. Due to the small capacity of bike batteries I do not leave them on once the battery is fully charged as indicated on the units traffic light type system.

Skoti:
Got a cheapo trickle charger from Lidl plugged in via a timer switch, which is set for 1 hour per day and that seems to work fine.

As Paul mentions it's also a good idea to bring your batteries in from the cold during winter, as severe frost will bugger them if they are in a low charge state.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version