Author Topic: Steering lock renewal.  (Read 379 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Steering lock renewal.
« on: March 15, 2024, 04:22:22 PM »
Well here we are, halfway through March, so, the 400 was re-introduced to the wonders of daylight. Last use was late November. After checks on tyres/chain/battery etc., the petrol was turned on and left for about 2 minutes, no drips, OH JOY!.  I had not kept the battery on charge at all, so, seeking forgiveness for all my past sins, it was ignition on and press the starter. Engine turned over about three or four times, and it only bleedin'  started eh?  Couple of trips round the block then back into garage to change oil and filter.  Last time I rode it I had absent mindedly left a key in the steering lock, bad idea.  So,as everything had gone well so far today that I dug out the new replacement I had bought earlier this year.  My bottomless gratitude to all the people who have contributed to this forum on the subject of lock replacement, I wish you had warned me that I needed the Oxford Concise Dictionary of mechanical obscenities!! But I got there eventually. Thanks everybody, have a great weekend.  Mike.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Steering lock renewal.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 04:52:09 PM »
But I got there eventually.
Hopefully, I will as well. After many years of looking at a hole I once tried to fill with a lock that was actually missing the revolving stud, I finally got a new lock fitted. Does it work? Not yet, the piston won't go into the hole and lock.  ::)  I wondered if it was too big but I doubt it, I think just maybe the spring from the first attempt still stubbornly lurks down there  :o .... we shall see when I feel like looking!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Steering lock renewal.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 10:03:35 PM »
Well done Mike, very satisfying getting an instant start up with old fuel and a nearly dead battery. I had to drill my old steering lock out, they seem to sieze in the frame for fun as I've had the same happen on two other occassions.
Did you buy a new lock from DSS? Mine arrived last week and although it had the rivet with the lock as well as two keys the large washer was missing! I dont know how DSS can claim this is a new lock kit if one of the vital parts isn't included to keep the actual lock in place :(
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal