General > Out & About

Afternoon meeting of Orkney SOHC members.

<< < (2/3) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Blimey that's not an Island - it's almost a Country!

Johnny4428:

--- Quote from: Orcade-Ian on March 16, 2024, 10:34:56 PM ---Ted,
From our place in the north west corner of Mainland Orkney where Johnny came for a visit, to the southern tip at Burwick, it's about 48 miles - so 96 miles round trip.  If we make a few detours like to Deerness in the 'Far East' or round by Evie on the return, I have often done 150 miles on one trip.  Bugger! I think I forgot to charge him for the tea!

Ian

--- End quote ---
You noticed how swiftly I left after the tea was done! 🤣🤣

Jan B:
Nice looking bike Johnny. And riding in coastal areas is always fun. Even when being charged for a cuppa by the likeminded.

Orcade-Ian:
Hi Jan B,
It's certainly a lovely place to have a ride - especially on a day like yesterday and great to have a visit from Johnny - that bike sounded lovely and he has already worked some magic on it but I'm sure there will be more to come.
Not sure where in the Netherlands you are but you too have some lovely coastal places to visit plus those very special islands to the north.  We had a good friend in Friesland (Leeuwarden) who sadly passed away last year and we visited her for over 30 years in your wonderful country.
A small group of us are away on a tour in late May to Austria and will be riding from Europoort via Tilburg, Eindhoven and into Germany by Aachen, so will get to sample some Dutch hospitality on the way. Unfortunately we will not be on our Classic Hondas!

Ian

Jan B:
I am located in the Southwest of the Netherlands on the Zeeland peninsula. Also a coastal region. I used to scuba dive because the onderwater world overhere is very beautiful. Lately when the water gets a bit murky I get dizzy instantly. Not very pleasant when 40 feet below the surface because you have to ascend slowly to avoid the bends. So I gave up scuba diving.
Anyway riding a classic bike is far less cumbersome not having to hassle with a lead belt weighing 12 kilo's, a scuba tank and the rest of the equipment.
Nice trip yo are goin to have late may. I have lived in Tilburg, my daughter lives in Eindhoven and I was born 35 km from Aachen. What a coincidence!

Upcoming summer I'll be visiting Scotland and Ireland. If time and weather permits I might as well visit Mainland Orkney with my Beemer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version