Author Topic: Forget about brake cleaner  (Read 320 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Forget about brake cleaner
« on: March 17, 2024, 10:01:52 AM »
Never liked the stuff. The result was always poor, leaving the disk somewhat greasy. Yesterday I've used denatured alcohol on sponges that are slightly abrasive. The sponge on the left is my favourite. The white side is a miracle. The bigger white sponge on the right was also good. It's only that later on the package of the latter, I read that it can leave gum residue. No real problem. Wipe the disk once more with denatured alcohol on toilet paper.
In case you wonder what that tiny container with the pink stuff is, my CB Four dealer/mechanic applies it also in the bore of the caliper and the piston, prior to assembly. My late uncle (a car mechanic) also practised that, be it that he used the blue Ate grease. So I think it's safe. The piston, 47 years old, could be used again. The same for the caliper. A friend had put it in his ultrasonic cleaner and after a quick wipe with some denatured alcohol on paper, it was super clean. Today I will fit the repro brake pump 45500-300-010P (CMSNL). A friend had praised its performance.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Forget about brake cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 11:13:20 AM »
Never liked the stuff. The result was always poor, leaving the disk somewhat greasy.
Interesting, I use the cheap PRESTO brand brake cleaner from Louis and that stuff even washes Molycote G-n Plus off, easily, with no traces...
Beware on paint and plastic through, it will leave a dull, foggy-white stain which require instant use of paint wax or plastic freshener to correct.
But I agree on those wonder-sponges, especially in detailing...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal