Author Topic: Stop/Tail light issue....electrical genius needed..  (Read 349 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Stop/Tail light issue....electrical genius needed..
« on: March 21, 2024, 12:33:02 PM »
I've discovered my tail light is on even when the headlamp is off and the brake light from the lever isn't working. I've checked everything under the tail light mount is plugged in and colour matched, all three wires are. Also did some twiddling about with the stop light switch no result. What on earth could be causing this.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:40:26 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Stop/Tail light issue....electrical genius needed..
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 12:49:09 PM »
Try adjusting the stop light switch spring, the stop light may be permanently on?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 01:04:55 PM »
Try adjusting the stop light switch spring, the stop light may be permanently on?
No, it is only the tail light that is always on. To operate the stop light while braking I'm relying on the rear brake switch.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 01:24:24 PM »
Somewhere the brown wire to the tailight is connecting to a black power lead in the loom OR  the ignition switch is faulty putting power to the rear light in on position instead of park position(or as well as).
Long distance electrical diagnosis is damn near impossible, with it in front of me could be a 10 min fix or a 2 hour chase!

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 11:09:53 AM »
Have you made any progress with the permanent taillight?

You say you have checked the connections at the taillight and that they are ok. These connections are from a sub loom, have you checked the connections at the other end, under the seat?

Not sure it’s possible to connect the black feed to the brown taillight feed as the connections should both be female but it’s worth checking (in the head light bowl).

It is worth checking the function of the ignition switch but in my (limited) experience problems with the ignition switch usually lead to things not working rather than working when they shouldn’t.

The taillight works separate from the head lights and is powered with the pilot light (small separate bulb) in the head light bowl. Is the pilot light on when the taillight is on?

Is the pilot light bulb ok?

Does the taillight go off if you disconnect the front or rear brake light switch?

Are the speedo and tacho lights working ok?

An easier mistake for someone to make would be to cross connect the brown and brown/white connectors in the head light bowl.

Lot of questions but as Bryan says it’s not easy to diagnose electrical issues at a distance.

Not sure what work was done on the bike and whether there was any reason for anyone to disconnect any wiring unrelated to your engine refurb.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal