Author Topic: Re-chromed Silencer  (Read 534 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re-chromed Silencer
« on: March 23, 2024, 04:17:24 PM »
Just got the silencer back from Quality Chrome in Hull - this is the one I got from Simon last year which was battery acid stained.  They have made a great job of it and it fits well with the overall condition of the rest of the bike - never meant to be a show piece but a rider.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I also re-rimmed the rear wheel and plated the spokes. Unfortunately with one of those heavily scripted DID jobs from DS.

Will do the front one when time permits.

Also made a qd rack which fits without moving the indicators and can be removed in a few minutes if necessary.

Ian

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: Re-chromed Silencer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 05:23:34 PM »
Looking good!  ;)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 05:23:56 PM »
Great job on the rack, looks neat and sturdy
Quality chrome was recommended to me by the zinc plater I used recently. I’ve a lot of parts to get plated and may use them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 06:15:43 PM »
That looks great. Very lucky to find a plater who will re-chrome a silencer most wouldn't touch them.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 06:37:09 PM »
They made a great job on the silencer, as Laveda Dave said it's unusual for a plater to entertain exhaust systems.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 06:37:42 PM »
You did well there Ian as I have not had the same luck with them. But there again one of the few places that will rechrome a used exhaust.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 06:44:09 PM »
You are right Dave (plus the others!) and I normally send my stuff to Prestige but their turn-around time is really long these days.  Quality Chrome in 'Ull had made such a good job of my Ducati Elite parts, especially the clip-ons which were very poor, that I decided to send them an email with pics.  Keith said he could tackle it, so off it went.  I'm well chuffed as many will know they are virtually unobtainable, even secondhand.
Magpie, I hate travelling any distance without the ability to carry a few essentials and have somewhere to put my helmet if I go walkabout, so decided to make the rack which my Honda mount plate and top box fit.  You can buy one but it means repositioning the indicators and it's not a 2 minute job to fit or remove and has to be 'sprung' over the shocker mounts.  Mine is in two halves with those alloy top bars bolted on and very easily removable. I even made some dummy spacers for the cissy bar bolts when it's not fitted.

Ian
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 06:51:44 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 08:27:14 PM »
This is what I use now if I need to carry my crash helmet around, it's basically a carry strap but designed for crash helmets and is adjustable.

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/wentworth-sling/black?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_mvBhDwARIsAA-Q0Q7mqr106uRXAkdpGT6ucz9NPkSPXyBAtE2yM1r0TUl9HlVYJJ7ffhAaAvKjEALw_wcB
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline 3scs

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 10:25:09 PM »
That looks great Ian can I have it back now 🤣👌

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 07:59:07 AM »
Of course Simon,
Send me £5k and it's yours!  I'll even throw in a Shiny Orange bike with it!  But seriously, many thanks for letting me have first dibs on the silencer - I have done quite a few miles on it this last season and even took it to two of our shows - the Annual Classic motor show in August and the Science festival display by the St Magnus Cathedral in September.  The staining was not that noticeable once fitted but it was certainly worth having it done.  I'll get around to doing the front wheel when I get my bike bench free again and then apart from a bit of regular maintenance, that's about it for that one.  Might be getting close to running out of projects!

As a complete aside I have just finished modifying a magneto drive sprocket for a mate up here - it's from a 1920's V Twin Blackburn engine that came from a Bleriot Whippet cycle car.  He's fitted the engine into an old Sunbeam frame and calls it a 'Sunburn'.  Another compulsive collector here has even got the old log book from the original car! 

As you can tell we love being in Orkney, every day's a school-day!

Ian

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 10:40:45 AM »
Sorry Dave,
Forgot to reply to your bit about the carrying strap - great idea! Not sure about the others but I'm averse to carrying anything about and prefer to shove the helmet, gloves and waterproofs in a top box but it also allows me to carry puncture repair stuff and maybe a flask and a butty if I'm away from sustenance. I sometimes even take my wallet!

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal