SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Carb Cleaning Tips?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Johnny4428:
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, agree with above advice. Worth spending time cleaning making sure all these small air and fuel passage ways are clear indeed or you just end up taking them off again. Also take note of jet sizes needle positions etc, you never know who or what is been in there before.

SteveW:
I use caustic soda on the brass bits. Just a small amount in a cup of water for 10 minutes or so.

Do not use on aluminium.

deltarider:
Found it: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,185851.msg2152800.html#msg2152800 Ultrasonic bathing is no guarantee.
I never needed anything else than carb cleaner and some stranded copper wire. There is no need to separate carbs from the rack ever.
One possible exception is leakage of the O-rings at the T-joints. After 47 years mine still don't leak, but in hibernation I keep my carbs in a natural state which is wet. When carbs have been drained for a long time, O-rings will shrink however. In most cases after readmitting fuel in the lines forsaid O-rings will leak at first but giving it some time, they restore themselves into the original size.

Mike_Berkshire:
The stripdown is going well but I have a couple of questions I am hoping somebody can answer. Firstly, what are effetive ways of removing an emulsion tube that is stuck in with crud? The internet suggests bashing the slide end with a metal punch or screwdriver to 'tap it out'. Looking at the thin walls and the fact its brass; this seems to be a surefire way of turning it into a small piece of scrap. Secondly, each of the slides seem to have similar graunch marks at the end closest to the emulsifier tube and the burrs catch slightly as the slide is withdrawn from the carb body; see picture. Any thoughts if this needs treatment and if so what? Cheers.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
To release my Emulsion Tubes it started with soaking the carb in fresh petrol for 48 hours as the sliders were also stuck. I squirted the area with Carb cleaner & Nail Varnish remover before drifting them out.

A few years ago I bought a set of long drifts in various diameters with a flat ends for drifting out bearings. One was just the right diameter to fit over the slightly proud Emulsion tube - a light tap made it flush with the carb body, the next size down just cleared the carb body. It fell out with barely a tap.

Heat might have helped though I did not try it as I'm always afraid of melting alluminium - a hair drier might have helped. I was lucky as I did not mark or distort anything - a plastic drift tip might have been better but I do not have one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version