General > New Member Introductions

New to the forum

<< < (2/5) > >>

Harriec:
Wow...Thanks for the quick and welcoming replys guys...Very re assuring...I was beginning to feel alone on this one!
Anyway, I just spent a few hours in the garage and managed to get it running ok. I removed the tank and made up a temporary tank  to feed fuel. it now runs. I took the carbs of and checked floats etc, they all seem good but the bolts to the bowls were a bit loose. Turns out the petcock is not working in the 'on' position but it does on the reserve..do you have any recommendations on where to get a new one?

Also it wont idle well at all. if I get it idling nicely, it will for a few mins and then the bike will change revs on its own, sometimes it goes up quite dramatically and sometimes it will bog down and die. having done some research I think it would be worth syncing them. Does anyone Sussex way have a kit to do so or is it worth buying a kit? These 4 carbs are a bit new to me...I take apart small engine carbs on garden tools but nothing like this. The bike is running rich too, im getting a bit of blue smoke when revving.

On a side note, the guy I bought it from said it had all just been re built...although he had no paperwork to back it up. The exterior of the bike is very clean and when I took the carbs off they seemed in good internal condition.

Thanks in advance!

Orcade-Ian:
Sounds like you are not fazed by removing carbs, so that's a big plus!  You will be used to blocked pilot circuits and the need to make sure all jets and passages are clear.  Sudden changes in revs with no external input from you could be an air leak downstream of the carbs when things get warm.  When it's running you could try spraying easy start near the intake rubbers and see if the revs rise.  Don't like the sound of the blue smoke - are you sure it's blue and not black?  Might need to do a compression test.  Did it burn any oil when you were using it before these problems started?  At least it's running again!

Ian

andy120t:
Someone more talented than me will comment about balancing carbs but can't you sync them by eye first...so get them roughly right without special tools - and it ought to then run ok-ish?

Athame57:

--- Quote from: Harriec on March 28, 2024, 04:54:36 PM --- Turns out the petcock is not working in the 'on' position but it does on the reserve..do you have any recommendations on where to get a new one?

--- End quote ---
Hi Harriec
Here is a link to that item on the David Silver Spares site, a site you may find very useful in future, not that there are not always options. https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750F2-(Single-overhead-cam)/part_335380/

Harriec:
Thanks Athame57 new petcock now ordered!

I'm a bit worried about trying to sync them when I don't really know what I am doing..I am abit worried about messing with the carb settings and making it worse! However it may come to that. I would really like to enjoy the bike this summer. Its my only bike as we can't afford a modern too and I miss getting out over the south downs at the moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version