Author Topic: Buying large amounts of parts from yamiya or impex  (Read 785 times)

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Buying large amounts of parts from yamiya or impex
« on: April 04, 2024, 12:02:02 PM »
Ive bought my bearings from yamiya and impex because even with expensive postage its cheaper than DSS.

I've been comparing the prices on yamiya to DSS and most of the parts are almost half the price. Has anyone ordered lots of parts from yamiya? Whats the postage and tax been like?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Buying large amounts of parts from yamiya or impex
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 12:06:10 PM »
Yes as far as Yamiya but I get my friend in Japan to buy them and ship them, as well as other parts from Yahoo auctions in Japan, as they don't have eBay there. Not sure how it pan's out if you go the 'standard' route as I think they hammer you a bit on the estimated weights and postage. Probably a bit cheaper in the long run though.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 12:19:17 PM »
Ordered quite a few times from Yamiya inc bearings when I was doing the 750.
Always worked out cheaper than silvers even with the postage and capture charges.
This has always been a gripe of mine that Silvers are ripping us off.
Sure Trigger or nurse Julie will be able to offer more info as they use them all the time.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 12:23:48 PM »
Ordered quite a few times from Yamiya inc bearings when I was doing the 750.
Always worked out cheaper than silvers even with the postage and capture charges.
This has always been a gripe of mine that Silvers are ripping us off.
Sure Trigger or nurse Julie will be able to offer more info as they use them all the time.

I've ordered from impex and that was fine and I didn't seem to get any customs charges unless its in the price.

What do you mean by capture charges?

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 12:44:24 PM »
Customs capture charges  :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »
I've only ordered from Webike in Japan. I have yet to be clobbered for tax/import charges. Service has been excellent. Some parts, however, are cheaper in the UK....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 02:53:23 PM »
I've only ordered from Webike in Japan. I have yet to be clobbered for tax/import charges. Service has been excellent. Some parts, however, are cheaper in the UK....

Yeah, I've spent my lunch hour putting together a spread sheet comparing prices, most are cheaper on yamira but a few are cheaper or negligible on DSS.

Some stuff is half the price from yamira.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 10:15:42 PM »

Yeah, I've spent my lunch hour putting together a spread sheet comparing prices, most are cheaper on yamira but a few are cheaper or negligible on DSS.

Some stuff is half the price from yamira.

It will not be half the price once it gets here. Add on UPS postal costs per Kg, add VAT, add import duties and administration charges and it all adds up  ;)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 11:16:16 PM »
Very valid point re. import taxes, postage etc.  Honda UK will not supply you with any parts for a model that was not sold in the UK. The fact that DSS has an American warehouse and ships parts over here negates many of the problems. DSS have even managed to obtain a few parts for my GB250 which is a Japanese domestic model only.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 07:47:33 AM »
Honda will order any part available in their european warehouse i have found, just takes longer

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 06:56:22 PM »
I'm very new in the "vintage" Honda world.  Last year was my first experience buying parts for one (OTOH, I have LOTS of experience doing this with a Norton Commando over the last 18 years)!  FWIW, I bought my CB400 parts from three different suppliers in the UK.  DSS parts fit perfectly in all cases; the other two had around a 50% success rate "out of the box."  I realize I don't have the knowledge of the various suppliers that many folks here have but I was very pleased with DSS and the speed of delivery.  So, at the moment they are my "go to"!  I probably won't be buying a lot of parts in the future since my 400 is now pretty much "set" for (hopefully) years to come!

Oh, BTW, I was also EXTREMELY pleased with Nurse Julie's parts/immediate delivery!  :)

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 11:00:40 PM »
Honda will order any part available in their european warehouse i have found, just takes longer

You can get 400 four parts through a Honda dealer?

What was the process like?

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 11:08:49 PM »
I think im going to try yamira for the bulk of the parts. My 90% complete list is £274 from yamira +£36 postage or £492 from DSS Im getting a few things from DSS anyway because the price is negligible. And yamira seem to have a lot more seals and o rings.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 11:11:23 PM »
Walk in with a part number and ask if it can be ordered, if in uk 3 days if europe 3 weeks

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 09:32:36 AM »
Walk in with a part number and ask if it can be ordered, if in uk 3 days if europe 3 weeks

I buy a lot of spares from my local dealer, HGB Motorcycles, Ruislip. If I order them before 4pm they arrive by midday the following day 👍
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal