SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Aligning the rear wheel on frame

(1/4) > >>

alexdecker:
Hey all

What is the best method to align the rear wheel on the frame, if you don't have any special tools available? Obviously I can use the marks on the frame, but is there a way to dial it all the way in? I feel a little jitter in the pedal of my rear brake, and I think it might be because of poor alignment.

I aligned the rear wheel according to the marks on the frame. Then I finger tightened the nuts. I then activated the rear brake and while holding down the brake, I tightened the nuts down.

What do you guys do?

Johnwebley:
Align the rear wheel with string and the front wheel

That's the best way

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Johnwebley on April 07, 2024, 03:46:26 PM ---Align the rear wheel with string and the front wheel

That's the best way

--- End quote ---

Presumably it must be special string that does not stretch?
Would a decent metal tape ruler work?

Orcade-Ian:
You can do what the MOT man does - a long piece of straight, wide timber with a cut out for the stand, not forgetting the front wheel is narrower than the rear.  You can add a strip to the edge which contacts the front wheel - half the difference between the front and rear tyre widths.

Ian

Johnwebley:
Not really,

2 6ft straight edges would

The idea is you put it around the front wheel,,about 8in from the ground, then pull equally both sides to the rear wheel,

As the rear tyre is wider, the string should just touch the leading edge of the tyre,

Next you check the gap at the front tyre,

It's fairly easy to see if both sides are equal.
If not, adjust the rear wheel as necessary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version