Author Topic: CB400F Headlight Electrics  (Read 189 times)

Offline rutherb

• View Profile
CB400F Headlight Electrics
« on: April 11, 2024, 09:55:44 AM »
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help/advice with my 1975 Honda CB400F UK model headlight electrics. I had an issue with my headlight not working (neither headlight nor park light coming on). After investigation I found that there was no voltage to either side of headlight fuse or taillight fuse. Further investigation identified a loose wire under the nest of wires under the tank. This wire appears to be black/yellow. I did fit a David Silver replacement right hand switch some time ago and seem to remember that the wiring for this was not as expected. Looking around the ~nest~ the only place I can see that the wire could have come from is a connector that appears to have a blue and a black wire already in (see picture - loose wire is to left in front of horn and connector, I think it fits, is to the right). When I did put the loose wire into this connector the headlight, park and taillight all worked using the right hand switch so it seems to be correct. I do have the wiring diagram but cannot see a connection /junction that looks like this. So my questions are:-
1. Should the black/yellow wire be connected to black/blue connector.
2. If yes, this connector looks wrong with 2 wires in top (blue and black) and 3 wires in bottom (blue, black and black/yellow). Therefore to tidy up can I separate blue and black wires into their own separate connectors.
3. If 2 is OK to do which connector would I attach black/yellow to, the black connector or the blue connector?

Any help in answering above questions would be much appreciated  :)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: CB400F Headlight Electrics
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 10:37:33 AM »
You wait and see what happens when you get a DSS loom!  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline rutherb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:14:13 AM »
Thanks Julie, that seems to confirm that my loose wire should connect to the black wire. The only outstanding question now is whether it is ok to separate the blue and black wires into their own connectors to tidy up the wiring and not have 3 wires going into one connector ! 😊

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 12:17:15 PM »
I fitted several 4 way connectors when I was sorting out my electrics - I bought them from Kojaycat that were for the correct size bullet ends with the appropriate insulating sleeves iirc.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline rutherb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 12:52:24 PM »
Thanks for that, will have a look. Probably best to keep connectors the same as I know the loose wire goes into that block 😊😊

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal