Author Topic: The 'Correct' method to adjust the 400/4 cam chain tensioner?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
I have just read this interesting piece on the Mike Nixon Motorcycle Project page:

'The correct procedure is to remove the bolt serving as a sealing plug on the plunger. Then put the crankshaft at TDCC (compression) on the #4 cylinder. Insert a Phillips screwdriver into the hole the plunger resides in and while pushing with moderate pressure, loosen the tensioner locknut and lockbolt, rotate the crankshaft 10 to 15 degrees, and snug the lockbolt and locknut. Release pressure on the plunger and replace its sealing bolt. This is the correct way for the CB350F, CB400F and CB/CL360. Don't use any method that includes running the engine.'

The above was the method I was told to use back in the 1980’s to adjust the tensioner but only if after adjusting the tensioner in the ‘normal’ way as described in the Haynes manual with the engine idling at a steady 1200RPM there was no difference in the sound of the engine indicating the tensioner arm was sticking (a sure sign of damage to the pivot point caused by a slack cam chain eating into it and also potentially into the top crankcase ???).

So the question is who is right and what methods are used by the 400/4 collective on the forum?
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Correct' method to adjust the 400/4 cam chain tensioner?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 12:27:22 PM »
FWIW when I was rebuilding my 400 I had number one cylinder at TDC whist using a spanner to take up the slack to the point just before the engine startes to rotate , this I was told means the chain is effectively taught then nipped up the pinch bolt.

Back in the 1960's on my 250 Dream I used the method with the engine running that you described. I do not like the idea of pressing down on the tensioner mechanism with a rod or Phillips screwdriver - might be an option of the horseshoe is starting to stiffen up though.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Alexrayz

• 1976 CB400F- Just making my way through the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 12:53:12 PM »
For reference I use the revue technique moto for the Honda CB400F and Norton Commando.
They do say to use the idling engine method.
What I have read elsewhere is that if your horseshoe is binding or the spring is old the conventional method doesn’t work, as there is too much resistance for the spring and stem bit to set the slack correctly.
The fix is to use the « engine off , screwdriver inside » that you described.

I don’t have the shop manual right now, maybe there is something on there?

Anyway here was the information I have. I need to adjust the chain soon so I’ll keep an eye out ;)
If it aint broken don't fix it

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 01:55:04 PM »
Using a screwdriver usually overtightenes the camchain leading to excessive wear and possible breakage, ifthis is the only way you can doo it then something is broken/siezed and needs fixing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal