Author Topic: CB 500 Four - engine problems  (Read 359 times)

Offline Siloxious

• CB500 Four - General Export K1
    • View Profile
CB 500 Four - engine problems
« on: April 13, 2024, 10:41:28 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm back here again as I'm a bit lost.

At the suggestion of one of you, I have cleaned my carbs and assembled them according to Motormac. I've really (really) cleaned them well.
My original problem was that the engine cut of in idle and generally didn't idle well. Also, the engine made a ticking noise. When I touched the exhaust pipes, I felt that all cylinders were hot, but cylinder 4 was I bit colder than the other three. So I thought that this ticking noise could be due to the cylinder not firing properly due to a clogged idle circuit. You guys thought the same, and thus I cleaned the carbs.

I hoped my problems would be over after the reassembly of the carbs. I have put in new brass jets. The engine idles a bit better, but there are still three problems.

1) The exhaust from cylinder 4 is still a bit colder than the other three. This could be connected to problem 2. Because I have really cleaned the carbs well, I would be surprised this is still a carb problem. Although, I don't exclude the carbs completely.

2) The ticking noise is still present in the engine, it is especially noticable at low rpm. In a video from a couple of months ago, it can be observed. <https://youtube.com/shorts/NGVH7g6JEZg?si=RLU1ZoAWtI8Ji8E2>

3) When I open the choke after starting, the revs shoot up to the 6000 rpm range. I suppose this could be a carb problem.

Does anyone have an idea where these problems come from? I have already checked the ignition timing and valve clearances. Can anyone give me suggestions to what it is? (I'm really hoping something isn't loose in cylinder 4, could this be the case?)

Thanks in advance!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 Four - engine problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 11:28:10 AM »
I have listened to the sound on your video those noises are not good as you know - you mentioned timing the engine statically - did you do this for both the 1/4 then the 2/3 timing?

Have you bench syncronised the carbs or have you balanced them with vacuum gauges as well?
I know my 400 ran much smoother after I had the timing the same for 1/4 & 2/3 using a strobe to set them up individually.

I think the engines run much quiter when all four cylinders are balanced and firing correctly both in terms of spark delivery as well as fueling.

Have you done a compression check to eliminate any possibility that one cylinder is out of range compared to the other three?

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 04:28:35 PM »
Cant watch videos so here is my 2 penorth
Points gap at 14 thou and timing spot on the F, it takes a lot of time, patience and practice to get BOTH spot on.
Sounds like the carbs need syncing, there is arie up of mine on here somewhere
Possibly tight, or loose tappet clearance.

You say you have cleaned the carbs, have you split them and had them ultrasonicaly cleaned?

Offline Siloxious

• CB500 Four - General Export K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 05:33:20 PM »
Thanks for your answers!

Yes, I have split the carbs and cleaned them ultrasonically.
The ignition timing has been set statically. I have not yet done a dynamic sync (of both the carbs and ignition) as these tools are quite expensive to only use one time. But maybe they are necessary…

To be concrete: a dynamic sync with vacuum gauges of the carbs is to ensure that the carbs are in sync. A compression test of the cylinders is to see if there are problems with the engine? Does a problem with a carb have influence on the compression test?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 05:50:34 PM »
Compression test is done with the throttles fully open and all spark  plugs removed so not affected even if all the carb jets were blocked.

When you did the static timing that is a good starting point did you check both sets of contact breakers not just 1/4 ?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 06:46:47 AM »
I wonder if the rattling noise is due to the well documented issue of wear in rocker shaft bores of the valve cover due to rotation  of the shafts. This will produce inconsistent valve clearances and can be seen looking at the end of the rocker shafts. This can easily be checked by removing the small end covers in the first instance. Later bikes had pegged shafts to stop the rotation and I have a spare such cover.

I solved my cool number 1 cylinder by reducing the pilot jet to 35.

Another possibility for the noise is related to the cam chain tensioner. The blade on mine had eventually broken off and was found in the sump.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 07:14:22 AM by davidcumbria »
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 07:34:30 AM »
Listening to audio, through headphones, and it sounds like one or more cylinder isn't running at idle, it doesn't start as you open the throttle either.

What this usually causes is to adjust the rpm at idle too high in keeping it running, then if tge cold cylinder starts the rpm simple goes to tge higher position from having all running.

From characteristics shown, there's intermittent running of some cylinder which will need the cause identified to progress.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 07:57:54 AM »
Diagnosis, the need to seperate electric from fuel is priority in helping to solve this.

Start from cold, run  20 sec then switch off. Check exhaust for cylinder temperature to find which are cold. Swap a "hot" plug with a cold one, then repeat to see if the problem transfer across between those two.

If it stays in the same place (the fault) then you can swap plug leads over. If fault is on #1 then swap the plug lead over with #4 to, again, see if the fault moves. Same if it's one of the two middle cylinder 2 & 3 that show fault.

If you've two cold and consistent with 1 coil of ignition, e.g. both 1 & 4 then you're ordinarily looking at that whole set of ignition. The points, condenser, leads and coil &  caps for that set.

If absolutely none of this has any effect, then it's likely in the fuel system.

Offline Charliecharlcomb

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
I had a misfiring problem that wouldnt go away and after cleaning the carbs and replacing the brass, I realised that the needles need to be changed as well as the replacements are subtly different. I went back to my original brass and needles and after all the cleaning and balancing it runs beautifully again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal