Author Topic: CB550 Oil Filter Bolt Removal  (Read 1088 times)

Online Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
CB550 Oil Filter Bolt Removal
« on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:51 AM »
Im planning to lift the 550 engine out of the frame at the weekend and intended to take off the Oil Filter housing to make removal from the frame easier. The bolt on the oil filter housing looks horrendous, no flats left and I doubt a smaller socket tapped onto it would grip. I can probably get my large Molegrips on it but before I go down that route are there any tips for tackling this? I have given it a good squirt of WD and left it to soak in. Thanks

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 Oil Filter Bolt Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 08:24:45 AM »
Im planning to lift the 550 engine out of the frame at the weekend and intended to take off the Oil Filter housing to make removal from the frame easier. The bolt on the oil filter housing looks horrendous, no flats left and I doubt a smaller socket tapped onto it would grip. I can probably get my large Molegrips on it but before I go down that route are there any tips for tackling this? I have given it a good squirt of WD and left it to soak in. Thanks
What a beaut!

Good luck

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 09:03:02 AM »
I think its 3/16 whitworth socket that will hammer onto that and undo it, never failed me when working for a Honda dealer, might be 1/4, its a long time since i did this

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 09:08:50 AM »
You could file the flats to give a little better chance with a smaller sized socket firstly.

The WD doesn't usually do much as they aren't usually stuck in conventional "corrosion" terms, more that they've been tightened too much to distort the filter housing and just making the torque required too high to turn easily.

The housing will rock clock and anti clockwise within it's pegged location, just a little. Turn if fully clockwise first, then while putting pressure on the bolt to undo it, try and turn the housing WITH the bolt, until it reaches it's furthest anti clockwise position.
Then hold the bolt and turn the filter back fully clockwise again, then repeat this to get the bolt moved. It's just fidgeting it (doesn't move much) but gradually ratchets the bolt to help it loosen. Once the pressure comes off the housing the bolt will usually move easily.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 12:36:05 PM »
That looks a bit challenging! I would try the smaller socket on it first as Bryan suggested although very good tips from Nigel too, single hex socket ofcourse not the multi hex ones.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 12:48:40 PM »
The mix of Bryan & Nigels advice should work if you use a T bar rather than using a ratchet on the socket you can apply the force more evenly a third hand might help with the filer housing whilst you use the T bar - best of luck.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 01:47:08 PM »
Its just too far gone. Smaller socket tried and it just broke away from the head of the bolt with a sprinkle of metal chips from the head. I think that I will try and remove the engine from the frame with the housing in situ and then try again when its on the bench and I have good access. Last resort will be to drill out/grind off (carefully) the remainder of the hex head so that the flange can be removed and then it should be possible to withdraw the filter housing over the oil bolt and then remove the remains of the oil bolt once the housing and filter have been removed? What a faff.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 02:15:48 PM »
If it's properly "farked" .... cheap socket, tap it on, weld it to it, then it'll come undone.

They don't get stuck on their threads, just compressed the seal o-ring and if done too tight by previous O then "splaying" the filter housing.

The bolt diameter is quite big as it houses the oil pressure bypass valve to accommodate if the paper filter gets blocked as emergency through route.

The flange is relatively small in it's overhang from that bolt diameter, but probably difficult to cut off without risking the housing.

A really good new/sharp set of "cobra" waterpump type pliers can get onto the outside of flange to succeed sometimes .... keep your fingers out the way though  :-[  in case they slip.

It's an odd one, because they aren't usually stuck that much, as in not seized solid, just enough to prevent easily coming undone with a mangled hex.

All because people avoid warning not to tighten them too much.

Offline ozzybud

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 02:30:22 PM »
Get a set of these external bolt and stud extractors.
That Bolt will be out in seconds.
Ozzybud [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
1976 Z50 YELLOW
1970 CT70 BLUE
1971 CT70H ORANGE
1972 CT70H GREEN
1973 CL200 BLUE
1975 CB360T RED
1975 CB400F BLUE
1975 CB550 ORANGE
1976 CB750F RED

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 02:32:47 PM »
Cut a decent sized slot about 5mm across the hex and use a piece of 5mm steel in the slot and turn it with a fair sized adjustable spanner whilst holding the jaws of the adjuster hard up against the hex. It will come out.

Online Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 04:17:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips - that bolt extractor kit only £28.99 on Amazon; seems like a bargain so I have gone for one of those. I wont try and do anything more with the bolt until I get the engine out so I can get at it properly; its going to be a fun weekend! Cheers all. Mike

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 05:23:12 PM »
Be interesting to see how you get on with it - looks great bit of kit - how did I ever manage without one in the past?

Please let us know how effective it is Mike when it arrives and you do the magic.

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 10:22:26 PM »
I have had such a kit for a couple of year after a recommendation from my car garage mechanic and it has worked well for me. I used it to remove the casing  gallery plug under the crankshaft of my 550 which had been completely rounded off by po. The harder you turn the more it bites in - got me out of a couple of scrapes.
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:31:13 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 10:37:03 AM »
As interesting alternative Ted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390062925510 these are flank drive and very low profile ratchet head for access.

Another point for interest (I've already had an alternative manufacturer set like this) is that they make extremely good plug spanner setup for these 4 cylinder Honda engines, with the "pass through " arrangement being able to use the extension and a socket to drop over the plug .... being hollow, both item ... to make very useful reach and access for those two central plugs.

You'd need to check that plug facility yourself though as mine is a different make (now not available) Bahco also owned by SO too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal