Author Topic: Rubber Front Fork Gaitors  (Read 2132 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Rubber Front Fork Gaitors
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
Are these designed simply to trap condensation thus aiding the rust growth on the stanchions or do they have some hidden and important purpose?  I ask this because mine are split and I am trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble to replace them.

Any thoughts?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rubber Front Fork Gaitors
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
they keep the worst of the cack off the forks, I've genrally found forks last better with them, particuarly in all year round / weather use, I'd try spraying light grease / chain oil onto stanchions before fitting to keep damp from doing damage having considered it (I've just never got round to actally doing it)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:55:24 PM »
Also stop too much road sh*te getting into the seals, you can fit the dust boots off the 77/78K3 (same as 500T)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
Mine are in use since 1976 and have done over 130.000 kms. Didn't have to renew a forkseal yet. Need I say more?
Are these designed simply to trap condensation thus aiding the rust growth on the stanchions...

If you look well, you'll find a small hole in them for moisture to evaporate. Just watch gaitors are positioned in such a direction the little hole doesn't catch water.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »
Thank you for your wise words, I will order some and get it done.  I like my fork seals to last.

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
..I thought they were designed to get you throught the MOT when the stanchions were a bit rusty...
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
You are right! 

I am saving up for some new gaitors.  In the meantime, I have effected a make-shift repair using baler twine and some gaffa tape.

I had given some thought to making new ones out of wax cotton, but I haven't yet got round to it.

As I type I realise that the best solution to free gaitors is old inner tube material.  I don't know why I haven't thought of this before; jubilee clip top and bottom and away to go.  Where are my scissors?............

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal