Author Topic: Another carb question  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Another carb question
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
Another small decision to make. The K2 has HM300 exhausts, but HM 341 baffles fitted (not sure why) Carbs are 657A castings and the needles are correct (27201) and in the correct positions (4th from top). Main jets are marked 102, which seems odd as I thought these came in steps of 5. Book says these should be 105 or 110. Other jets are correct.
Should I be changing the jets to a larger size? I would guess 110 because of the exhausts.
Any thoughts?
Cheers

Seamus

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Another carb question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
It looks toward sensible and if it's been running with no problems before then it may be worth assessing it when it's going again, and depends on how you feel about working to change them afterwards.

I guess with what the current use maybe i.e. restricted / not thrashed / bigger non use gaps, it could be beneficial to be towards lean as it will run the pipes dryer helping them to avoid rotting.

If it starts and comes off choke easily enough then it's down to a plug check to get a better feel for what it's running  level is really.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Another carb question
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. When I picked this up, the head gasket was blowing very badly and it was not running well. It has a strange mixture of parts and I believe it to be a Japanese import. The owner was complaining of the rough running and general lack of smoothness. This could have been due to the gasket, but originally these were fitted with larger jets. The addition of the HM300 exhausts would also need a slight increase in jetting as they are more efficient at getting the gases out.

Again a bit surprised at the jet sizes (102) which seem odd. I may well increase to 115 and see how I go from there

Cheers

Seamus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal