Author Topic: What is the world coming to?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
What is the world coming to?
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
Someone paid over
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:46:22 PM by florence »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: What is the world coming too?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »
That's eBay for ya Steve!

I paid
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
Yes, it's dashed annoying; I started bidding on a 1971 cb500/4 frame but already it has gone over the price I'm prepared to pay.  The trouble is people like me on a limited budget are being priced out of the old bike market by people who speculate.  I might have to find the next forgotten era of bikes and enjoy them before they get too expensive.  Maybe something from the early eighties....only trouble is that's when bikes started getting very ugly.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
The more I get into this restoration thing it appears people get carried away thinking they can just "do up a shed", yet you can buy mush better bikes for similar or often less money. Case in point here. Hope the successful bidder is not reading this site!!!

Just been to the Classic bike show at Stafford on Sunday. Similar thing going off there it seems looking at the autojumble / junkyard!!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:09 PM »
I don't mind if they are, it's nothing personal. each to their own thing.  I just don't have vast amounts of spare cash to spend.

Offline fazer1k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
The more I get into this restoration thing it appears people get carried away thinking they can just "do up a shed", yet you can buy mush better bikes for similar or often less money. Case in point here. Hope the successful bidder is not reading this site!!!

Just been to the Classic bike show at Stafford on Sunday. Similar thing going off there it seems looking at the autojumble / junkyard!!

Also went to the Stafford show last weekend, some of the prices were just a joke - lots of chancers as summed up nicely in this 'report'...

http://www.visordown.com/snippets/stafford-bric-a-brac-misery-and-sadness-in-excess/14725.html

A very ropey CB550K3 up for around

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
Nice post Fazer, there are a few of these people selling on ebay that probably do the show , they still manage to get buyers for some of this junk, also one mans rubbish is anothers treasure, i suppose if you are trying to make a living out of it the price has to reflect overheads and such things occurred, where as the the hobbiest will  sell at much lower prices
pete

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
I love that article, couldn't agree more, just the point I am making.  These old cheap bikes should stay that way i.e. cheap!

I would love a BSA A10 or a Royal Enfield 600 or a Triumph 500 or 650 twin because basically I have a sense of humour and don't ride bikes for purely practical reasons.  However, I will probably never be able to afford one.  Even the nearest cheap alternative Yam XS650 is getting to ridiculous price levels nowadays.

My father used to have a Triumph T110, great bike, a bit knackered, sold it for
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:48:50 PM by florence »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: What is the world coming to?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:28 PM »

Offline captaindonutbikes

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
hah brilliant. anyone got
cb550k3 cafe

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Well I don't want to be rude to bike polishers but if prices do come down it won't be a bad thing.  I bid on a pair of cb500 shock absorbers, second hand, probably worn out, and they went up to

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal