Author Topic: Gear Shift drum  (Read 945 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Gear Shift drum
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
Anyone have an opinion on this please

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=78557.msg876757#msg876757

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Shift drum
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
Ash, the usual problem with shift drums was jumping out of third or fourth when trying hard (100mph ish). If it was me i would use the best of the later type drum you have plus mix,n,match selectors with least wear showing on the sides

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Shift drum
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
I've not ridden early (K0-K1) bikes so have no comparison but would go along with Bryanj in that if possible you need to head towards the best / most reliable drum.

I'd describe the box like this to use; "mechanical" in feel, and slightly obstructive if you hurry it through a change and apply wide throttle too quickly at the finish of the change if that makes sense. The effect being to drop back out of engagement particularly higher ratios.

The sweetest box on these that i've tried was 750 F2 and seemed more reliable, that i guess strengthens the case for a later drum (does have higher rpm of box as lower overall ratio is used).

I guess if your going to higher power this also pushes you to best engagement scenario required as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal