Author Topic: Tacho slap!!  (Read 2588 times)

Offline brianm

• View Profile
Tacho slap!!
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
On my CB750 I have fitted a used tacho, which I have checked using a cordless drill and it seems fine.
When I am riding the tacho bounces around and I can hear it slapping/clicking. I doesn't make that noise with the drill on it.
Can the tacho drive be removed without removing the engine?
What would cause this???

Brian
1978 CB750 F2
1969 Triumph TR25W

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
Re: Tacho slap!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
could be a broken or about to break inner drive cable or one of the flexible coils have opened/broke causing it to stick in the sleeve cover of cable.  also look into the rev unit to see if the square drive input isnt broken  ie  one edge split.......
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:56:55 PM by rigwit »
dib! dib! dib.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
Could it be a lack of damping fluid in the dashpot damper?

cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline brianm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
I connected the drill to the engine side of the cable and it was spot on. Is the damper inside the Tacho?
Brian
1978 CB750 F2
1969 Triumph TR25W

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
yep, but dont foget the drill is a steady turn not a varying speed

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
I connected the drill to the engine side of the cable and it was spot on. Is the damper inside the Tacho?
Brian

yes it's inside the Tacho just under the dial face.

See my other post today on the subject.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline daveh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
A few months ago I fitted a new cable to my KO as the reading was somewhat jerky. On fitting the new cable the tacho reading was still jerky and sporadic, however when I compared the original inner cable to the new one it was about a 1cm longer whilst the outer appeared to be the same length on fitting the old inner in the new outer the tacho behaves as it should. The cable was a genuine Honda from D Silver.

DaveH

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:30 PM »
 ::) i have opened up a few clocks over the years and a good shot of lube will get things back to normal Honda clocks are pretty stable ,does anybody remember the old British clocks now we are talking "speedo bounce" and" rev counter slap"  ;) yes and you can also have a inner cable that is too short, that it will fall out of the rev counter drive,this has happened to me a few times  :-* as well as the cable being too long and getting tight , i think we need to remember that although this stuff comes from d.silvers and ebay it does not guarantee it is a genuine Honda part, there are still lots of reproduction parts out there especially cables, brakes, clutch, gaskets ,filters infact anything serviceable is and always will be copied by other motorfactors ,so sometimes we can get away with a mix and match,its all part of the fun i think  :-\
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:32:03 PM by steff750 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal