Author Topic: Silicone Oil Viscosity in Instrument Dampers  (Read 3847 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Silicone Oil Viscosity in Instrument Dampers
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »
Any thoughts on my post on the SOHC4 Site?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=78890.0

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:29:43 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon Oil Viscosity in Instrument Dampers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
I use this silicone damping fluid, ebay item number 290489033958. Quite expensive but there's enough to fill dozens of dampers. The instruments should always be stored face up. If you have ever seen a new boxed instrument there's a label on it stating 'store face up'. I have had a few new old stock instruments that have not been stored correctly and the fluid has found it's way onto the face. I've managed to remove the fluid from the face using a spray glass cleaner, the type used for spectacles. Great care is needed but it did make a significant improvement. The effectiveness of this method may depend on the face colour, the particular one I recall had a black face.

It's interesting to note that some instruments of the same still age retain their damping, some don't and without any evidence of leakage onto the face.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
Thanks for that kent

How about this

http://www.turntablebasics.com/silicone.html

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Looks like the same product as I use but less money! Clearly someone is making a good profit

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:44:24 AM »
 ::) i have always used wd-40 (spanner inna can) when ever i have opened up my clocks, come to think of it i use it for everything :-* awesome stuff you gotta love it

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
WD40 "Silicone free since 1953" - so not silicone!!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:31:24 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »
I have just found in my emporium about 750cc (coincidence!!) of CF 900 Minolta laser fuser silicone oil (dimethyl polysiloxane). Anyone know if its any good for instrument dampers? Would be prepared to give small amounts away free to members if it turns out to be OK. I will have to wait till next week to measure its viscosity.

Heard its also used in breast inplants - Jordan Types need not apply for a free sample!!!!

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:34:40 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
Re: Silicone Oil Viscosity in Instrument Dampers
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »
Glycerine as is, or can be thinned down with top q white spirit...... pure glycerine avaiable from most reputable pharmacy's and cheap as chips
dib! dib! dib.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal