Author Topic: Blast cleaning - which type?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
Blast cleaning - which type?
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »
I am coming towards the point of getting barrels and head cleaned up before having the fins repaired. and have a dilemma in what type of cleaning to use. I have had stuff bead blasted before, but the oilways in the 750/4 engine are so fine I worry about not clearing the thing out properly and running it on grinding paste when I start up in a year or so's time. Also don't want to pay a fortune in cleaning and then get it all oily when it gets worked on. Any compromise suggestions out there folks?
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blast cleaning - which type?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
was up at autojumble yesterday, at squires cafe/bar near shurburn in elmet, there was this chap showing examples of his work after vapour blasting, they did look very clean.
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »

Vapour blasting is probably kinder to the surfaces than conventional shot or bead blasting, but yeah, the stuff that gets left inside once the process is complete is very fine.  I've had three engines vapour blasted recently, and no matter how hard the guy who does the work tries to clean them out, I still find traces of the bead/water mix in little places where you really don't want it.  The problem is that the mix is a bit like wet sand - and has the same adhesive properties.

I tend to do a couple of things after my stuff has been blasted to try to get rid of any remaining crap - first, I then leave the parts in a warm-ish, dry place for a couple of days/weeks to allow the water in the vapour mix to dry out.  I then clean out/ream all of the various threads on the cases (you'd be amazed how much crap gets trapped in them and then blow through the oilways and other key areas with compressed air.  After that, I flush the parts with some kind of solvent-type liquid - last time I used turps; the one I'm doing now is going to be washed out with parrafin to see if one's better than the other.  I've tried the dishwasher route before, but unless you're using a dishwasher with no salt in it, the parts will gather salt deposits (and in the cylinders, start showing up surface rust) before the wash cycle has finished.

Mine seem to have come out of all of that pretty well, and I've not seen any traces of anything going bad with the newly built engines.  Incidentally, I had a set of 750 carbs blasted recently and the bodies now look like new.  Just make sure that if you're not going to paint the cases (I don't - never found a paint that's durable enough), coat them in ACF-50. 

The alternative is to find a furniture/metalwork restorers and have them dip the cases in acid.  It takes about a week, does much the same job as a vapour blast, but doesn't leave any residue.

Hope that helps.

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
Advice appreciated - thanks. I'll cogitate (big word that one!) and let you know what comes. Good news is the bores look pretty unworn so the 810 pistons may get re-used. Again, time will tell, watch this space!
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
I've had engines blasted with the cases built up before and plugs / plates  made for the holes, depends on what finish you're heading for and if you need to blast all castings as well but the inside is effectively isolated.

Need to use scrap case screws as well if you follow this route.

Motor was finished to black as for F2.

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
aquablasting is the best for alloy.look for anyone local to you who do it .........one thing to ask is 1, do they use the bio-degrable liquid in the prosses and 2 do they blow out all oilways/blind therads etc etc..
dib! dib! dib.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
I have a set of BSA cases and head being vapour blasted at the moment. I'll post pictures on their return. (Later this week)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal