Author Topic: Winter preparation  (Read 4859 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Winter preparation
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:54:59 PM »
Well, it's November and the salting season is about to start.  

Time to get out the LM grease and the EP90 and splodge it over everything to keep the salt out, taking care, however, to avoid the saddle, tyres, brakes and anything that gets really hot.  Might I also recommend that dried on mud should never be removed as it is an excellent carrier for oil.  The resulting oil/mud combination forms an invaluable protection against the elements.  It is good practice, also, at this time of year to carry out basic maintenance and check one's vehicle most thoroughly.  A breakdown at the side of the road in sub-zero temperatures is a demoralising experience at the best of times and handling spanners in mittens is close to impossible.  

Careful thought should be given to one's attire during the winter months.  Long-johns are an absolute boon to the motor-bicyclist as is tweed; being a natural fibre it offers one the greatest protection from the cold and is at the same time very stylish.  A leather riding coat should be sufficient as a top layer.  At this time of year breeks should, of course, be put away in favour of long trousers, unless you are travelling to a shooting party.  A thorough application of dubbin to the boots is recommended as well as to your shotgun case.  (I am sure the reader will not want his matching pair of Purdeys to get damp)

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Winter preparation
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
I would recommend a blanket, an Optimate, a bowl of moisture crystals and a nice warm garage.

See you in March...    ;D

My Sprint goes out every day* - my old Hondas are retired.

* except when it snows and in freezing fog  :)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »
Steve, you are a more sensible man than I could ever be.  Perhaps it would be a comforting thought that by wearing out my classic I will be making the model one machine rarer thus increasing the value of everyone elses machine and at the same time, once it is finally completely past it, providing a future restoration project for someone more patient than I am.

Out of interest, what is an Optimate?  The moisture crystals sound like something mystical; are they real or imagined?

Steve

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Optimate is a battery tender that keeps your battery in tip top condition during extended periods of inactivity: www.optimate.co.uk

Moisture crystals are real: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kontrol-Krystals-Dehumidifier-replacement-500g/dp/B002S9ATJS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1288628233&sr=8-5

When your bike is finally past it, break it up and sell the parts to ignorant punters on eBay for
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
Bike still covered in last years grimy oil, plus the crud off the chain, Optimate is a great tool for the all weather bike, keeps the battery healthy if the bike spends all weathers outdoors and it's seen one too many winters used in the frost, it'll buy you the extra week to get a new battery delivered by mail order if your local bike shop consider stocking stuff for customers needs as above them ::)
Lidl waterproofs pay off in the cold, over my well worn leathers, which will get a quick rub over with renapur leather treatment for when I'm too lazy to use the waterproofs. Finally I'll promise myself the sidecar will get done soon, I'm afraid its long overdue for tlc and a revival of mamoth preportions, gone are the enthusiastic days I nailed a 550/4 together in a weekend (that included an engine rebuild) and belted round Scotland for a week streight afterwards in my easter break.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
I am well served for batteries here.  The local tractor shop stocks "Oregon" (chainsaw) batteries which are for ride-on mowers. They are the exact battery for the bike and last very well.  Mine has been through four winters now and still strong and they're not even expensive.

http://www.oregonchain.co.uk/

Optimate sounds like a good idea if the bike has to rest.  Might be useful for my 350 which currently shares a battery with the 500.  Gosh, it could have it's own battery; that would solve all that fiddly bolting and unbolting.

Steve, good idea, in fact, I could start now.  If I sell a part, then replace it with a BSA part(they're always cheap), before long I could end up with an A10  :D  I already have a BSA back light and some AMALs.........hmmmm, an evil plan is hatching for a hideous Japanese/British hybrid, the sort of thing that would annoy purists from both camps.  Let me see, a 500/4 engine in a featherbed frame or an A65 engine in a 500/4 frame..........

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
and dont forget vick's vapour rub and fishermans friend ::)
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »
"Moisture crystals" isn't that like breakfast cereal on the starship enterprise?..............

You forgot the Deer-stalker for a stylish arrival Florence.

LM grease, my favourite for squiggeing around any bolts / screws etc, they come up really nice and clean next spring when you clean it off.

Regularly spray the front of the motor with WD40 or similar in winter.

Offline rigwit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
Why not just apply a carranubba wax and not polish it up. not done it on a bike but used on cars.......  come spring good old wash off and bit of elbow greaes then put on the sun gogs as shine will blow you away .............. and silica crystals will take out moister in the air .
dib! dib! dib.

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
er wots carranubba wax, is it some secret potion from thr darkest rhubarb triangle ;D
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Whole heartedly agree about the deer stalker.  I will try to convince the local constabulary that they are BS approved.  I'm sure they are actually a legal requirement on Exmoor.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »
Is it spelt more like "carnuba" ? thought that was a top end wax that's expensive, applied to the likes of Lamborghini by the hands of dusky maidens from the east.....................

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

LM grease, my favourite for squiggeing around any bolts / screws etc, they come up really nice and clean next spring when you clean it off.

Clean it off?  Whatever could you mean?  Sounds like heresy to me  ;D Apply more, once it starts to rub off or dry out.  WD40 is very good for the delicate bits like the clocks, switches and petrol tank/side panels.  It gives them a lovely shine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal