Author Topic: KO side panel badges  (Read 2305 times)

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
KO side panel badges
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
Hi. Guys,  Getting on with the restoration of KO and starting to take shape, have managed to suppliers of most parts or sourced from different places but am stumped with side panel badges any body know where to get them, also cant believe the price of some of the parts and how hard they are to get, think I have struck gold only to find at checkout that they are now unavailable, have a few pieces ready to send for chroming but am still not certain which firm to use has any one had chroming done and had a really good job done? :-\ would hate to make a mess of it now. :'( Thanks for in advance for tips or information, glad to see you back Ash.

Jock  ;D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: KO side panel badges
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
Ask the guys on sohc4.net - I'll bet someone over there has them.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
I got my originals rechromed  (and my HONDA tank badges) and then detailed them with black, white and sunny gold paint. They were easy to chrome according to the guy and they were
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
David Silver has some aftermarket parts on his site, plus some genuine

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks Guys may go with the chroming along with the rest keep us posted on your progress Ash.

Jock.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:12 PM »
 ;) be careful with the chrome side panels ,i had some done a couple of years ago and the chrome reacted with the gold enamel ,really pissed me off  at the time  ::)
 early tank cap is made of "monkey metal" i cant recall the proper name they are diecast like the tank badges and will not take to chroming

Offline honda-san

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
The early die cast ("monkey metal") tank caps WILL re-chrome perfectly, but only if in good condition to start with - ie dulled with minimal corrosion / damage. Prestige electro plating at Dinnington did a grand job on mine (shame about the wheel rim they did though!)  - If there is anything other than minor blistering / pitting on these early caps then de-chroming process will leave significant pits ( I understand the stripping process takes away all the chrome + any corrosion / oxide, hence you get an evet bigger pit where the corrosion was) The polisher then can't  remove enough material to get past these pits and so you end up with new chrome which is pitted.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »
Honda-San,   Will the same principle apply to mudguards ect. if they are badly blistered/pitted, will they still end up pitted as with the tank cap. ??? 
Jock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal