Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 913 times)

Offline Longjohn

• View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
Hi all, came across the site a few weeks ago, thought it might be a good idea to join in. I'm 64 years old, got my bike licence around 1963-4 time and have had all manner of bikes over the years. Recently bought myself, for not much money, a basket-case Superdream 250 which originally was going to just be turned into a runner, and a ride-to-work machine, but is rapidly turning into a full-on restoration.
I bought it off a young lad, an apprentice motor mechanic at a Peugeot dealership, who wanted it for much the same reasons I bought it for. The work required was a little too demanding for his skills and after 12 months he sold it to me. Everything I have stripped and examined has been defective/missing parts/full of gunge or inoperative for any amount of reasons. In spite of all that, I have really enjoyed getting stuck into it and am looking forward to making the proverbial silk purse out of a sows ear! My first trade was as a vehicle mechanic, by the way, although I suspect my apprenticeship was a little different from today's model.............That's not a criticism, there weren't the computers or the complexity back in the sixties.
Regards to all

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
Hi, welcome aboard. I still have a few superdream bits lurking in the back of the shed, anything from cylinder heads (a few of them) to a unknown engine lump. Dad got one years ago to get running as a commuter (his first bike for 25 odd years) after a few years riding that he moved on to a bmw twin.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Longjohn

• View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
Hi Matthew, thanks for the welcome, I'll bear you in mind, if I may, just in case I get stuck for anything. One of the reasons I bought the Superdream was that it was so popular in its time, spares are still relatively plentiful. I certainly didn't buy it for it's sparkling performance!
Regards to all

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal