Author Topic: Zinc Plating on Sandcast Site  (Read 3779 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Zinc Plating on Sandcast Site
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:46:03 PM »
Hi ash interesting subject, i read all the posts but could not see any pictures
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
Hmm Pete the pictures come up when I view it.

Here they are again

The wheel rim one is for my K0 - trying to establish if it is the early rounded type - Bryan?  Steff?

Cheers

Ashimoto
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:21:51 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
I had a go at zinc plating a few years ago, but had little success. It could have been because the kit I bought was not very good. I did obtain a decent power supply though.
I found a local zinc plater who was very reasonable and plated parts for the next day. Decided that it was not worth the effort.

I accept that if you can get the plating process to work, then doing it yourself gives a lot of satisfaction and probably convience.

Good luck with it

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:52:23 AM »
Cant help with the wheel mate, never new there was a difference, there is only one part number for the rims throughout the range in the early parts book i have

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »
Bryan   - Re Rim - Its one of those elusive k0/Sandcast parts - like the front hub which is 4mm wider than all later ones. Bet steff knows about it though,.

Cheers

Ash

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
 ;) hi Ash yeah i have had a few sets of rounded rims,i think i still got one set here somewhere ;D i have not got round to chroming them,I'm afraid of the prices,( a rear mudguard cost me

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
Hi Steff,

I already have both DID made rims new from Silvers before prices went up but they have the DID verbage on them and made in Indonesia.

OK it's not a Sandcast but Sandcast's don't have the same magic with me as other folk. We never had them over here so they could never have been the bikes we ogled at as a schoolboy (Well I was a schoolboy then). But mine is supposedly from the first elusive batch of UK bikes made in Oct '69 so I don't mind spending that little extra on it. I am not in it for the money. It's just my hobby restoring it to as near original condition as I can afford. (and one day riding it at last).

Cheers!!

Ash
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:08:32 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Hi Ash, thanks i can see the pictures now, the parts you have plated look real good, just out of interest did you use and airator, and a heater in your plating tank?
As for your rim it seems that very few people seem bothered about the rounded rims,
I recently bought a new old stock rear rim for the cb750, it is not the indonesia DID rim , it is original honda did rim , silvers had a few for sale so i took the oppotunity,
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Hi Pete,

I used a rotating contraption to rotate the part whilst plating. I used a brass slip-ring and carbon brush and holder off a washing machine to conduct the current during rotation. I used a lab power supply in constant current mode to control the plating current. I used the plating solution at 23 deg C I also wrote an Excel spreadsheet to work out the surface areas to get the correct current and used 100mA/sq inch

Best regards,

Ash
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:44:39 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:52 AM »
 ;) hi ash  i am with you 100% , i got four 1970 CB750's all k0's all UK bikes with loads of UK history, and i still get a buzz riding em . no sandcasts for me either too exotic i have been offered two this year for too much money "overpriced and over here" mind you if the lottery comes up i will be paying Vic World a visit, ;) yes you enjoy rebuilding it and get it back original the more effort you put into it now the more you will enjoy riding it later  . and you can say " when we was school kids, that was the bike to have period"  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal