Author Topic: K2 on EBAY  (Read 7357 times)

Offline bjd

• View Profile
K2 on EBAY
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
Hello there ,After years of restoring two stroke Yamahas (yes I know) I have decided to get a grown ups motorcycle and want a restoration project .Just wondering what you chaps think of this on Ebay ,its the colour and age I want but its been on for ages so I am not expecting a super bargain ,I know that unless you see it in person you cannot give a definative answer but I expect alot of you have looked at the advert and I would appreciate your thoughts,could it be worth a try?I have restored worse but only models I knew alot about.
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CB-750-FOUR-1972-SOHC-CLASSIC-RESTORATION-PROJECT-/130441633344?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1e5eed5e40
 Many thanks BRIAN

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
Re: K2 on EBAY
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »
It's tempting - I am on my first CB rebuild so please don't think of me as an expert (unless you go for the definition of an expert that 'an ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip under pressure').
My last three restorations have been 2 Guzzi Le Mans and a Jota, so the CB has more bits but they're smaller, but can't be more expensive than Laverda bits!!
The one on ebay looks tempting as it is an early one and all the big bits look to be there. The worry is if it is 70% complete, what makes up the missing 30%, and how much would the bits either cost to get, or how long would they take to locate? I just bought a points cover and a starter cover for mine and it wasn't cheap, and on top of that I have to do a full engine rebuild, powder coating, chroming, forks etc etc. I would probably talk myself into it but try the seller with a cash bid a bit below the 950 asking price.
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

rhos1355

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
Has it got all the paperwork?

Offline bjd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
Thats one of the things that worries me ,they have not got a V5 but have done an HPI check on the reg no with the bike and the engine number on that matches the one for sale and the frame number is listed on it ,but it also states the bike is green ,am I right in thinking green was not an option in 72 1971 had a Valley Green but the engine and frame numbers are definately 72,it looks like the entire front end is missing so would have to check for a bent frame and also that box section swing arm does not look like the original does it?on the plus side it is a genuine UK bike registered in August 1972,  5 owners last change of owner 1994  ,and is just the hopeless case I fall for , I am working near to them next Wednesday so I think I will have to go and see if it is still there Brian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:00:11 AM by bjd »

Offline RupertB

• SOHC Associate
  • If a hammer won't fix it, then it's electrical.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
It could easily have been resprayed in 38 years so the mention of green colour isn't something I would worry about, but a missing front end is cause for concern re the frame as you say. It is a bit like falling for a girl and knowing she likes boiling rabbits, but somehow you just want to see her anyway.
You could always buy a Rickman frame....

Good luck!
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. You'll enjoy it and I need the money.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »
I'd say its worth about
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »
That swing arm is not standard and looks like one i have for a 500 which pivots on the long bolt instead of the standard collar BAD IDEA too many parts missing to be worth more than

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »
That looks like it could turn out to be very expensive, especially if the history is not known, the engine could be shot and a lot of the parts could be junk, I would give them sub
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Legin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
I have a K1 which I thought just needed polishing up but Im already another

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
The engine would need a full rebuild as it looks like the oilfilter housing has been off for a long time all sorts could have got into the engine that way, and why is the generator/dynamo off? and clutch, and how many times has the cam cover came off the cam parts look dry more dirt in the engine. The engine alone would be about
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
I'd guess you'd have  to be a little more famailiar with the model to stand there and make a judjment on what is really missing if you are going to look at it.

If the motor could in any way be complete then you'd have more of a basis to start with, a good careful strip, clean and reassemble is then a possible.

Looking at it from a simple money point of view I'd guess at

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
I recon if you are going for a good quality restoration forget it, but a project like a cafe racer or something it mabee worth a look, the engine is more than likely to need rings gasket set seals, at minimum, then you have to find a front end , and exhaust, paint job bearings chain and sprokets, chrome work,
i would say

Offline bjd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
Thanks for that, confirming what I was thinking myself if I am honest ,I would prefer a more complete bike to start ,even if the parts are shot you have something to compare replacements with .Being as I am near anyway I will still have a look.Its not so easy to find my type of restoration base now I think you guys must have them all in your sheds and garages  ;D  Brian 

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Like the Reg. No. - I guess 'The Winner Takes it All'  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal