Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2283 times)

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
Hello
« on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
Hello all. I've just signed up having bought a CB550K. Registered in '80 but I believe it's a '77 model. Looked like this when I bought it last week:

Looks like this now:

A bit more work to do (!) but with only 22k miles on the clock (10+ years in storage until a few weeks ago) it seems mechanically pretty good.... Well, it has a new MoT and I rode it home from the seller's house OK.

What's amazed me is how easily it all came apart - nothing siezed, rusted or whatever. A far cry from my '03 Transalp daily rider.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:41:50 PM »
Welcome, looks in fantastic condition.  Why are you taking it apart if it all works?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, looks like you've got stuck in pretty quickly.

I like doing more in depth maintenance as it's good riding it if setup properly and all the bearings etc checked out.

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »
Welcome, looks in fantastic condition.  Why are you taking it apart if it all works?

Two reasons - first is that photos can be deceptive - it's pretty tired cosmetically, with the engine needing re-finishing, the lacquer on the tank flaking off and various other issues. Second reason is that I bought the bike as a basis for a project that will see its appearance change quite significantly, although mechanically it'll stay fairly standard.

K2-K6, in terms of bearings/suspension/brakes it seems spot on and felt surprisingly 'modern' in that respect when I rode it, however the 4000rpm idle speed when it's warm combined with a clutch that almost needs two hands to operate mean that the stop/start riding on the way home wasn't exactly a pleasure! I look forward to riding it when I've sorted it all.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
High tickover is almost certainly carb adjustment along with possibly blocked pilots whilst heavy clutch is cable,

Both worth sorting BEFORE you strip it down

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »
High tickover is almost certainly carb adjustment along with possibly blocked pilots whilst heavy clutch is cable,

Both worth sorting BEFORE you strip it down

Thanks for the advice. The bike stood for over 10 years and I would guess the carbs weren't drained so there'll be all kinds of residue in them - I'm planning to get them ultrasonically cleaned. I'd replace the clutch cable as a matter of course during the rebuild.

What makes you suggest sorting these things before stripping the bike? Just to make sure they're not masking another problem?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 05:06:57 AM »
YUp, sort the known stuff, then look for more

Online mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
hi Sproggy, welcome to the forum.Your bike looks to be in similar condition to my k3 which is waiting for restoration after i finish the other k3 in my garage! I have found them a fairly easy bike to work on as they are from my era, the 70s! good luck with the rebuild any advise i can give just ask,althoug there are many better qualified on this forum! cheers, Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal