Author Topic: Hi from the West Midlands  (Read 1646 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Hi from the West Midlands
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »
After being a subscriber to the forum for sometime I thought its about time I introduced myself!  I live in Aldridge, West Midlands and am now retired (Hoorah!).  Over the years my wife and I have owned a large number of cars and quite a few motorcycles.  The cars started with an Armstrong Siddeley (some car for a person who had just passed his test) and my first bike was a James Captain with "go faster stripes" - not that it did. 

I have previously restored a Norton Navigator and a Honda Shadow, both of which I sold.  My current project is a CB750K7 which must have hung around the dealers for some time as it was registered in 1980.  It has been completely stripped down (aren't their a lot of parts in the engine/gearbox?) and I have been gradually building it back up with overhauled and NOS parts (I try to do everything myself except for plating and painting).  Its now at the rolling chassis stage with the frame etc powdercoated, forks rebuilt with hard chrome stanchions ,progressive springs and taper bearings, wheels rebuilt with rechromed original rims and stainless spokes, electrics rewired checked and fitted.  Next stage will be the engine - that should be interesting!

I have 2 questions for you.  First, has anyone fitted the heavy duty studs when rebuilding the engine?  Are they required?  I know about the problems some in the States have had getting the studs out without breaking and also some of the heavy duty studs also breaking when torquing down the head.
Secondly, David Silvers can no longer supply the exhaust system, has anyone bought the exhaust system from CMSNL and is it any good, on their photos it looks like 2 of the silencers have spot welds showing on the visible side of the silencers.

Hope you can help, Rob

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from the West Midlands
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
Welcome!!!

I like the fact that you have hard chromed the fork stanchions - My old Z650B1 was fitted with them by a PO and they were superb - never corroded despite using bike as daily transport in UK weather. Seem to remember they were done By AM Philpotts - who still are around I believe.
As you will read in these posts I am restoring a 1969 built UK CB750

Cheers  Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
Hi Rob welcome to the forum, good luck with the rest of your build, can you post us some pictures of your progress
Pete

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
Thanks for the welcome messages.  I used Philpotts as well, superb collection and delivery service.  I will try and post some photos soon, it's a bit difficult to get a photo of the full bike as its in our Conservatory for over the winter, (my wife Margaret's idea, she wanted her sports car in the garage because of the bad weather - it makes a nice place to work!).

Rob

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »
Welcome Rob.

Nice place to work, as much light as you need and not too far from the kettle.

Post pictures when you can as we all like to see your progress.

Good luck with the project

Seamus

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
welcome to the forum Rob,sounds like your rebuild is coming on, ref silencers i am having trouble locating 550k3 exhausts,just bought one which was supposed to be 550 but turned out to be a 750k7 rh upper! it is for sale on ebay at moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120670671229&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT if you want to check it out, cheers Mick
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
Thanks Mick.  I have contacted Dave Silvers again and although they have no stock for the K7 they have agreed to bring a replica set in for me - I just hope they are OK!  Should have them in 10-14 days.  I don't need them at the moment but with prices keep going up I thought it best to buy now rather than later.

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal