Author Topic: Exhaust Compatibility  (Read 2250 times)

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
Exhaust Compatibility
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
Probably the first of many stupid questions, but......

The non-standard 4-1 headers on my 550K3 are shot - they've already been patch repaired once (badly) and are good only for the bin. So I need new headers but I want a setup where the 4-1 merge is taken care of by the headers, not as part of the can as is the case with the Motad system. This is because I want to use a non-standard can and link pipe.

Marving do a system for the 550F1/2/3 but don't list one for the K3 although AFAIK the engines are the same. Can anyone tell me whether there is actually a difference between them that would mean 550F headers wouldn't fit a 550K?

Any alternatives other than Marving? Swarbrick Racing (http://www.swarbrick-racing.co.uk/prices.html) list headers for the 500/4 - will these fit the 550?

There are some on eBay ("CB550 X4") and I'm not worried about the scrapes on them but I am unsure whether they'll fit.

Any advice gratefully received as I've been looking for headers for a while. Other people must have had to replace theirs?

???

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Exhaust Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
The 4-1 and 4-4 are incompatible because of the footrest hangers and centre stand stop. If you can get around them then any system should fit.

One of my 500s has a custom can on a Motad header. The can was home made by the PO but I'm sure any standard can could be made to fit.

You could try www.sohc4.net/forums as the guys in the 'States have far more experience of this sort of thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »
Thanks Steve. I no longer have pillion footrest hangers and the centre stand has gone too so it sounds as if any system could be made to fit. Needless to say, originality is not a concern......

I'll post the same question over on the US forum too in case they have suggestions.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
nicest adaption along these lines I've seen was a bsm ( dave silvers generic pattern 500/550 exhaust) downpipes and collector, the silencer had rotted through so the enterprising owner had got a nice end can from an autojumble and cut and shut it in place of the original silencer. They then found out the chopped auto jumble item was a Bsa Rockett 3 raygun silencer and would have been worth enough to buy a brand new exhaust rather than a make do, but it looked the bees knees, though a bit loud  and bike went like stink with them pipes and k&n filter. Personally I just rummage the scrap pile for bracetts to make any sohc honda 500 or 550 system fit whichever bike of my 500's or 550's I want them to fit, points to watch are you often end up with the chain and centerstand having a fight as bump stops are on the exhaust and also rear brake pedal knocking the pipes  and footpeg mounts being different. On the other hand you've not got these anyways. Never tried cbx pipes.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline sproggy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
Searched on David Silver's website for BSM exhausts and couldn't find one even though they're listing on BSM's website as being the UK distributor  ??? On the BSM website it's 449 Euros for a 4-1 system  :o And their collector is part of the can like the Motad system - I really want 4 header pipes and a collector to which I can connect a link pipe and can of my choice.

Good to know there are a few potential suppliers/manufacturers, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal