Author Topic: 750K7 rebuild  (Read 3007 times)

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
750K7 rebuild
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
Managed to get a couple of photos of my K7 rebuild progress.  Front mudguard is wrong but came new with the bike so is fitted until I can find time to repair an old one for chroming.  Handlebars are wrong, they are a cut-down pair so that I can get it through the doorways and back into the garage for summer!!  The rectifier is a solid state heavy duty 3 phase one I picked up off ebay for 99p, its fitted with a home made heatsink.  The original rectifier was found to have one of the diodes open circuit.  One of the photos shows the speedo and tacho that I rebuilt with new face overlays

Rob

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 750K7 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »
Nice work Rob them clocks look beautiful
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
I could have let you have one of the individual diodes to repair your old rectifier (they solder onto the backplate)

Lovely detailed resto BTW.

Cheers

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
Thanks Ash, have sent you a PM

Rob

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:02:26 AM »
PM'd you Rob the price is nothing!!

Cheers
Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Phil k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Rob - nice looking build!

Which faces did you use on the clocks and how much of a pain were they to do?
(Did you use the dremmel or un-crimp method)??

Phil
Honda CB750 K5
2004 BMW R1100s
Honda CRF250X
Honda CRF230F

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »
Rob - Soldered a new rectifier diode on today, will post it back tomorrow.

cheers

Ash

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »
Thanks Ash, hopefully I will get it assembled and fitted over the weekend.

Phil, I used the faces off ebay USA (roberth9).  I used him as he was the only one that produced the dual scale (mph and km/h) type.
I cut the bezels off with a very fine tooth modelling hand saw that I had.  Fitting them was straight forward, lining up the overlays was the main problem as you need to "square them up" before letting them stick down.  I used JB Weld to fix the bezels back into place and used a round clamp overnight.  You have to paint your original faces white which sharpens up the lettering.
I wasn't pleased with the quality of the overlays at first.  He hand cuts them to size and they were slightly smaller than the original face and an iregular shape but this can't be seen when the front is in place.  The worst thing was that they are made with a matt uv protection film overlaid on them and there were air bubbles showing underneath.  When contacted he said he knew of the problem and it was the postal service bending the envelope that caused it!  He recommended putting the overlays in a thick book and clamping them up in a vice.  I did this and it worked.  Also the tacho scale is out of calibration when compared to the original but thats not noticeable and is not a problem now I know the error.  Now they are on I think they look fine and have the look of the originals.

Rob

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »
I do have some original faces with dual mph/kph for k7 and excellent red line, which I may be selling. waiting for a load of gauges to come from the states though before I part with them.

cheers

Ash

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
Will be in touch Ash.

Rob

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
PM'd you Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal