Author Topic: cb550 carb problems  (Read 2847 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
cb550 carb problems
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
hi everyone, well after getting the k3 started after 28 years in bits i have a problem.it will fire up for a few seconds using easystart but will not keep going.It seems to be a carb problem, the float chambers are full of fuel but dosnt seem to be getting through to the cylinders.I took the carbs off again to clean thoroughly, they seem to be quite clean anyway,but the jet that pushes into the bottom and has small holes in the side seems to be blocked.Should the central hole go from top to bottom as i cannot push a wire more than a few mm into either end, i have tried 3 up to now with the same result, including one from a spare carb.I gather carb problems are common on these bikes so any help appreciated, Mick.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
Re: cb550 carb problems
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:14 PM »
Mick,
You have my sympathy.
Carbs have been my biggest problem.
But to answer your question, yes the pilot jet (sometimes called slow jet) should have a clear thro' hole.
I assume you removed them from the carb body (i didnt even do that at first! Doh)
this is what I did:
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=3283.0

I had them soaked in Redex for a week, & then used some cellulose thinners for good measure; I very carefully used a single strand copper wire to ease the residue/gunk out. It made a huge improvement.
Good luck
Andy

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:51:58 PM »
thanks guys will keep you posted

Offline anparkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
I had exactly the same bunged up pilot jets on my K3 which had sat for 10 years. I pulled them out and reamed them out with modelling drills. I can't remember the size but I was able to get the drills to the exact 10th of a mm. I can probably find the size if you want.

It solved my slow running completely and it's perfect now throughout the rev range.
1978 CB550K3 rescued from damp garage where it sat for 10 years.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
did get them sorted eventually, got some new ones from canada! i have just checked my other project k3 and it is exactly the same!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal