Author Topic: "cloud silver" where in the UK??  (Read 9922 times)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
"cloud silver" where in the UK??
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
Well after an enormous pause ( 2 years) in the restoration of my 1973 cb750 k2, I guess its time to get back on track..... having dug out the crankcases.... I need to find a source for "cloud silver" in the UK.. Hmmm.. I dont want to do the cases with a rattle can, as any potential fuel leaks will just wreck the job. Hmmm.. I have a compresor and spray guns.. just need a source for cloud silver... Hmmmm... any one solved this one? Although it is a concourse restoration, I am getting to the point of "near enough will do" but everything else  (so far) is perfect it would be a shame not to get the exact colour. hmmm. (notice how I spelt "colour" that was to put folks off from the states telling me where they get it from!!! lol, no one will ship it by the way!)
Ah well, maybe someone does know where to obtain this, and will tell me in return for a vey funny joke about Jordan (katy price) that is totally NOT politically correct...... one never knows... 
Taking comfort in not owing China 75 Trillion Dollars.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: "cloud silver" where in the UK??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
I'd say welcome back KC, but this is post #1 (?)

Was it on SOHC4 that we were last acquainted?

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
Hya Steve! Indeed it was, two different pc,s later, one destroyed laptop later, and a much healthy and happier me later ( having been clean now for a whole year from dodgy doctors prescriptive stupidities) and I am for real back... yehhhhhh... now to the restoration, "cloud silver" for my crankcases? any Ideas? I know Chris  R and a couple of others used to have a difference of opinion over this years back......

Hinomaru

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
What happened to the F2?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
AH ..! Steve, the F2...well, er,... The backof the living room was getting crowded what with the f2 restoration and also the begining of the K2 restoration...my missis is a grand lass and didnt mind, but when I couldnt move round myself what with all the boxs of parts,I decided a judgement call had to be made and sold all the f2 stuff and spares in one go.... then i realised just how much stuff I had carelessly colected over the years, because it was still crowded.... I had to get it sorted out , i just could not find things that I wanted and kept finding things that I didnt know I had, and found things I had forgotten about entirely...I also had all my passwords in a folder somewhere for all the websites....somewhere, I know it IS somewhere, but at the moment it seems to be nowhere......hence re-registering with a new password etc..

Hinomaru....thanks for the pictures of the correct colour (color lol) aerosols..... which pose even more new questions..; Is this available in the UK (USA companies cannot post paint to us so they say) Is this heat resistant for the crankcases? is it chemical proof once dry? can we get this Direct from Honda UK? like D.Silver?  Thanks...

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
For those who are really confused, kaceyK2 was originally (and still is) kaceyF2 on the .net site...   ::)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Hinomaru

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:22:51 AM »
Hinomaru....thanks for the pictures of the correct colour (color lol) aerosols..... which pose even more new questions..; Is this available in the UK (USA companies cannot post paint to us so they say) Is this heat resistant for the crankcases? is it chemical proof once dry? can we get this Direct from Honda UK? like D.Silver?  Thanks...

Kaceyk2, I don't think the paint is designed to act as a (high) heat resistant product, but it seems to be a be a very durable paint as it's used for Honda outboard boat motors and lawnmowers. I can't say for sure if it's enamel, polyurethane or ceramic based paint. Once fully cured it's chemical (gas resistant) up to a point. It's been a while since I purchased the cloud silver in the photo's, but here in the USA the spray cans are available from Honda, through either the marine and/or the lawn & garden division. (not motorcycle) It's a bit pricey as it costs around $25-$30 (US) a can.  

I see you have a UK Honda site: http://www.honda.co.uk/ and perhaps one the dealers carry it or can order it?

I've discovered that the Honda cloud silver color has a very low metallic particle content, almost a pure silver which makes it a bit unique and hard to match up compared to other silver paint on the market.

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
I have already tried 2 Power Equipment dealers in the West Midlands for this paint but they have said they have no record of the aerosol part number I gave them (from a US site) and they did not stock paint.  Mind you they weren't very interested!

Rob

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, I will try and harang d.silver a tad!  Steve , unfortunately, I tried to recover my passwords  for kaceyf2 but couldn,t as I had changed my IP and therfore the IP address, and was told that unless I could remember my old email address the site couldnt help....I still believe I have them written down somwhere...but then again I still believe I have some bolts in a box that are just the right size for that thing I need them for......so have had to re -register on many sites..and as I have not got an f2 any more and have a K2, I thought it would be more fitting to be kaceyk2... except that is for ebay, where I will remain kaceyf2 because of my 100% feedback record..... no one is more confused than me, passwords,email addresses, login details...I am not good at these, I prefer spanners or a piano keyboard where I am at home.

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Just got in contact with Honda UK, sent them an email. I started off by explaning that I had "the power of dreams" and that MY Honda motorcycle had inspired the "power of dreams " upon me. I casually went on to explain how Wonderfull "the power of dreams " was and how I agree with Honda entirely in "the power of dreams" and firmly believe that everyone should have a dream. (I admit at this point that I didnt state everyone should have a "Honda" dream, but merely any dream. Hope that doesn't get me a flag in Hondas book of deviants.) Anyways, quickly "glossing -over" (a term which will become a pun when you realise its relevence) again,  quickly glossing over this "anydream" business I Moved onto my "particular" dream concerning and involving Hondas, well my Honda anyways.... I explained how to keep my Honda in a "power of dreams" type condition, it would require the use of Honda product "Cloud Silver" crankcase paint, I even mentioned in passing that "Cloud Silver " itself conjures up a "dream-like" state, as folk have looked at clouds for millenia and dreamt up all sorts of dreams...and how very clever I thought Honda was for not just calling it "silver"  (I didn't mention that this word conjures up images of D.Silver, and spending loads of money in his shop.)
What I mentioned instead was that in the USA, folk don't quite have to do as much "dreaming" to obtain Honda "cloud-silver" as we do in the UK    and furthermore in the USA they even have a product code for it , which is "08707 NH35M Cloud Silver"
I did However also mention that my search for Cloud silver in the UK was turning into "The power of Nightmares" a situation which I am sure Honda did not intend, and asking if they could rectify that oversight. I finished the email by assuring Honda UK that I was not totally a "loner" decorating my bedroom walls with newspaper clippings or anything, and that there are indeed many other folk in the UK who would like Honda to supply Cloud Silver to give power to their dreams too......
did I do OK?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
Wow if that does not do anything then there is no hope
Pete

Offline UKROBK7

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »
Just waiting to see their reply - bet it won't be as good as the message you sent!

Offline SamCR750

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
KC, I agree with Pete and Rob, if that don't rattle their can, nothing will. ;D ;D ;D
I have a number at home of a pro painter that may be able to help, I'll look it up for you tonight. ;)

Sam. ;)

Offline kaceyk2

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
thanks Sam looking forward....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal