Author Topic: Something old, someone old.  (Read 5061 times)

Offline popwud

• View Profile
Something old, someone old.
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Aup from Nottingham...just stripped a 500/4, well I got the engine out, took the cylinder head off, little bits of ring fell out but don't really know what to do next in as much as inspecting the big ends etc.

Found your site while reading through 'HOC' club.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Something old, someone old.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
Welcome - it was probably me...

Whilst its apart, you might as well inspect everything, although dead big ends are very rare. If the rings are in bits you need to check the bores as you may need to rebore before rebuilding.

Keep us informed as to what you find (with pics if possible)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
check the heads not scrored to buggery by the bits (I've run one like that and it was ok but benefitted from a file to remove the high points), and go through the gearbox carefully as loose debris may go there too and it's a pain to rebuild an engine, put it in the bike only to find it's no good. May be worth a look at the oil pump - I always turn the engine over sans rocker cover on the rebuild to check there's plenty of oil getthing back through the oilways to the head. bottem ends normally ok and so far I've yet to have an engine needing more than rings on the bore front appart from silly things like rusty bores or relining (con rods make a right mess when they let go) In any case there are so many good pistons + barells out there used that I'd always go good used over rebore.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
Welcome - it was probably me...

Whilst its apart, you might as well inspect everything, although dead big ends are very rare. If the rings are in bits you need to check the bores as you may need to rebore before rebuilding.

Keep us informed as to what you find (with pics if possible)

Steve

It will need rings, visually things look ok, the bore is a little damaged on one of em.

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »
check the heads not scrored to buggery by the bits (I've run one like that and it was ok but benefitted from a file to remove the high points), and go through the gearbox carefully as loose debris may go there too and it's a pain to rebuild an engine, put it in the bike only to find it's no good. May be worth a look at the oil pump - I always turn the engine over sans rocker cover on the rebuild to check there's plenty of oil getthing back through the oilways to the head. bottem ends normally ok and so far I've yet to have an engine needing more than rings on the bore front appart from silly things like rusty bores or relining (con rods make a right mess when they let go) In any case there are so many good pistons + barells out there used that I'd always go good used over rebore.

It wasn't run very long when the rings blew, no obvious signs of head damage, not been into the gear box yet, there's a scoring on one of the bores (sleeves) and a tear!! on another at the bottom, where would you get new barells from and how do you know what size to get?....which will give you some idea of my expertise.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
Just get oversize piston kits and have it rebored to suit (usually about

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
ebay for used barrells genrally, I tend to buy when cheap rather than when needed but I've had a few spare engines off there that have surendered good barrels and other bits for
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
Great to see another 500/4, not so many about any more.  I've been riding mine since I rebuilt it in 1995.  Welcome.

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
Just get oversize piston kits and have it rebored to suit (usually about

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
ebay for used barrells genrally, I tend to buy when cheap rather than when needed but I've had a few spare engines off there that have surendered good barrels and other bits for

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
Great to see another 500/4, not so many about any more.  I've been riding mine since I rebuilt it in 1995.  Welcome.

I would like to see mine up and running again, cant wait to use the kickstart.

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
Just thought of a question...you can get full gasket sets are they good enough or will I need liquid gasket stuff.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »
NOTHING on the head or base gaskets

Clean grease on the "O" rings and paper gaskets

A THIN---VERY THIN---Smear of RTV on the crankcases
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:27:45 AM by Bryanj »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Of all the sohc engines I've had appart I think only 2 had bore dammage or even rings actually past the replacement limmit, compared to 3 or 4 that with head issues from poor oil supply etc That means a good set of used barrels should be out there. Compared to the cost of a full new set of liners, rebore and pistons even the pricyest good used barells would seem cheap. I think that 550 barells only fit if you open out the crankcase mouths with a file though I've not actually tried. I've done the next one up 550 to 650 and I know someone not too far awy who used 550 / 500 barells crankcase so it's possible to do quite a bit of mix and match.

Offline popwud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
Thanks everyone...this is a steep learning curve for me so a bit at a time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal