Author Topic: Renovation Time  (Read 55330 times)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Renovation Time
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
That's the front of my 76 CB750F1, if my failing memory is correct I had the brake pipes made up by a firm called CMS (HEL), I sent them my old brake lines, but I presume a diagram with measurements would be just as good.
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=1561.0

Cheers

Den
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:36:54 PM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Here you go:

http://helperformance.com/catalogue/brake-line-systems/

Click on "Options" for black PVC covered lines.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »
Sorry mate, all i got is the silver braided stuff and the fittings in the mail i sent which are more sharply angled

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »

No problem Bryan , any chance of you sending me a price anyway, knowing myself,  if theres a significant price difference I will go with the cheaper ones. I need the 2 lines from the brake light fitting thing on the bottom yolk to the caliper and a single US spec (longer) upper pipe to master cylinder. Everything is std at the moment, master cylinder is Goldwing but looks the same and has the the same fittings.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
Which ends would you like and i will see if i have enough before giving you a price, you will also need to give me a length for the top one.

Are you doing away with the pressure switch and coupling one hose to there or putting both on one longer banjo bolt?

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »

Length of upper hose is 470mm centre of banjos....the banjos are short necked and have a slight bend in them.

The lower hoses are on the same long banjo bolt - brake light switch retained.

I've just been through my old TZ racing spares and I have 2 of the caliper 45deg angle fittings, and 1 rusty adaptor.

So to summarise I need the upper pipe with its banjos. 470mm
 the 2 lower pipes with banjos on one end but just the nuts and olive on the other. Overall length 550mm each.
I would also like a couple of new caliper adaptors as the one I have is rusty.
Washers where necessary for all fittings but I dont need any banjo bolts, I have a stash of new stainless ones with the right thread.

Cheers Bryan

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »

Soryy to mess you about Bryan - ordered 3 complete pipes from Hel on Monday with the black covering and all new fittings - No Banjo's so discounted - still expensive at

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »
Closed loop end could be 550 K3, I have several swing arms but also the same number of bikes to resurect so a borrow might work but a sale not, as to pipes not a problem mate i hadn't had time to get into the garage yet anyway!!

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »

I'll use the closed loop swinger for now and buy another later - thanks though Bryan.

The Hel brake pipes arrived and are fitted. Very neat. Exactly the same as in the earlier Pic of the 750.

The engine is out, all holes bunged up and all oils seals and shafts taped up. I used some old brake caliper pistons and finned collars for the exhaust. Will shot blast it all this afternoon.

The whole front end is now done but for the clocks. I dont know wether to mask them up rub down and repaint or strip them down completely at the moment. The shells are rusty but the faces are fine.

Its not going to take as long as I thought. Certainly a fraction of the time it takes to do an RD500. The Honda is not that far removed from a simple a pushbike but with an engine and a petrol tank. There must be half the number of parts I'm used to and very little plastic.

Struggling to find the right handlebars.....I want exactly the same as I have now and they dont seem to make them anymore. Might have to have a re-chrome.

The goldwing master cylinder looks silly, way too tall, so I've fitted an old 550 reservoir into the GW casting. I dont think brake pads wearing out is going to be an issue on this bike anymore.

Really enjoying doing this bike and cant wait to wheel it out.....my mates are going to get a big shock, its been known as the dripping in rust Direbladder for years - dont get me wrong they all love it really.
  I'm Undecided about taking it to the IOM now, it might rain....hahahaha 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
If you can get a very first GL1000 master they look identical to the 500/750 one, its only the later ones have the see through tall reservoir.

When fitting up with the closed loop swingarm don't forget you have to pull the spindle all the way out to remove the wheel so copious grease on the spacers/spindle and put it the way round so you dont have to remove the exhaust!!

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
That is the only worry Bryan - I will have exhausts both sides with the new stock pipes, but I dont envisage taking the wheel out too often and I'll have another swinger by then.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »
In that case make sure you have a strong bungie so you can disconnect the bottom of the shocks and hold the swingarm up to get the spindle out. Yam 750 tripple and 1100 four had a strong rubber strap in the tool kit for this purpose!

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
That's a great tip, you've just saved me the hassle of removing the exhaust to fit new sprockets.

Cheers

Allan

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
Crankcases sand blasted, painted and laquered. Halfords high temp silver enamel and petrol resistant laquer. Not that great a match to original especially after laquering.
 Camcover head and barrel, sump and oilfilter housing, will be removed and vapour blasted before painting.
 Bolt on sidecases and end of cam things will be vapour blasted and polished.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
 Dooesn't look great in those pics really does it....still that was late at night and in the garage with kind of weird reflections and crap going on....it looks good in the flesh.

I've now stripped the top end off the engine, I really really didn't want to do this, there was nothing wrong with it except it needed a bit of paint. Oh well its done now. Gives me a chance to Anneal the gasket again I suppose.

Cam cover and associated other bits all blasted and painted...head blasted and painted - had to take all the valves out etc etc a right pain in the arse just to blast and paint the dammed thing.

For the head I blocked up the cam oiling holes with 15mm lengths of plumbers solder pressed in the holes, the head face holes I covered with tape. I just dont want grit in my oil galleries, there are little pockets here and there that make it imposible to get it all out again.

Do the barrels tonight and then take some pics. Have used Halfords silver caliper paint for this lot...seems very good stuff and coverage is excellent..
I just hope none of that dammed sand falls in the engine from those open stud holes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:10:29 PM by z1100r »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal