Author Topic: Renovation Time  (Read 57600 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Renovation Time
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
You don't need the oil cooler unless it's a realy heavily tuned motor or you are spending long times at high speeds on the motorway.

The above is for general consumption, as you say yours is an ex race engine it will probably be running hotter than standard and as such a cooler would be a benefit, if you can get a thermostatic By-Pass in there more the better

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »

I've often thought about it but not been arsed to do it. I have this adaptor from its racing days just kicking about, and I have a spare cooler from my old z...Yeah I'm going to fit it anyway, if my bog stock Z needs one then this certainly does at 100cc more than stock with bigger valves, a cam and gasflow .
   No doubt we'll be cruising the 125miles odd to Heysham at just under 100 mph, and it will be doing at least 1 lap everyday for a week in the IOM probably 2 between 5 and 6am. The bikes done the trip twice before as a 550 getting some serious stick when I was younger, and I haven't really grown up..!!!  I'm going with a trackday R1, ZX10R, and a VFR850 vtec, they wont be hanging about. I just know the Honda is going to get thrashed to death, I hope it can keep up thats all, I mean the  VFR of course.. ;D ;D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
Get a (large coffee) and settle down to read this

;D
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »
Holy crap...even I couldn't read all 35 pages of that..!!! I'm fitting it and thats that.. ;D Actually the Z cooler will be alot less efficient than my old much larger race cooler...which I also still have - the adaptor and cooler was all attached to the engine when i bought the engine back in the mid 90's. Anyway ..no debate necessary I'm fitting it....huh ...gotta get some new pipes..!!!
 Right I've decided, I'm not fitting it....yet...but I will weld on some brackets for it.

My 460 and 600 engines used to run on Shell straight 40...lovely stuff...I dont know if its still available. 10 mins warm up and then thrash for race..the engines used to look spotless inside at the end of the year, with no apparent wear.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
I had a Derale USA cooler fitted to my modified 750/823 F2, which looked like this...

...with the kit parts from http://www.derale.com/ looking like this...

...together with a seperate Lockhart thermostat which was the smallest one that I could find.
Lockhart did sell an oil coller with the thermostat built into it, but I already had the Derale by then.

Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »

My adaptor is the same type of thing..the cooler can be seen here :-

I'll get Hel to knock me up some smart pipes. it will be very easy to weld on some neat brackets to mount the  cooler as the front of the main frame is obviously very similar to the Kawa frame.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
 This project just keeps on going...I dont want to stop. The missus seems happy enough I'm down the shed all the time.

Just a tinker session last night. Put my switchgears and master cyl back together, blasted the airbox hanger brkts and had a look at what I'm going to do with the clocks.
  I stripped off all that brittle laqueor stuff and the black rubbery ends from some original levers I've had for donkeys. Apart from the laqueor going brittle they are like new so they have gone in my polishing pile along with the rear brake back plate.
  I changed the switch gear in the 80's for some reason to 550. I just remembered that. so I have that extra big bugger on the left hbar. I must of broken the head light dipper switch and I've made a bodge repair. The switch has a small round lego piece screwed and glued in as the lever. Looks a bit crude now. So I need a new one. I just need the switch but I guess I'll end up having to buy the entire switch gear.

I've got some plating I need doing ....never had any done before and dont know anywhere that does it. I want to get the airbox brkts, the wheel spacers, engine mount plates, exhaust hanging brkts and finned collars, rear brake stay tube and rod, sprocket cover, handle bars, all replated - some in chrome and some in zinc passivate. Can anyone recommend a firm for this. I want quality stuff not just a quick dip and its rusty again in fortnight. Can anyone suggest somewhere - in the midlands..??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:54:40 AM by z1100r »

Offline pauliexjr

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
All engine polishing finished...can put the motor back together now.

Nice shiny bits! Do you coat them with anything afterwards or just keep them polished?
DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR ON THE INTERNET - Abe Lincoln 1857

Current
1980 CB750 dohc - a new headache in my life :-)

Previous
1977 CB750 cafe racer, gone but not forgotten!
CBR1000
Yamha XJR1200
Triumph T140V Bonnie
Yamah XV750 Trike
Triumph T110 Saint
Suzuki GT750 'kettle'
Suzuki GT550
Honda CB550
Honda CB175 (first bike)

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
 I wont coat these in anything....except waxy polish. All the hard work is done, when they get a little dull that a quick hand job with a rag - excuse me - wont do it anymore, then its only a few screws and a buff up on the polisher again anyway.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:57:19 AM by z1100r »

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »

I've decided what to do about the tank after seeing this..!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230604511111&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

I did think about it but thats serious pokey for a  500-4 tank. Errgh no, I'm not spending that, I can fix mine myself and it will look as good as an original one did. Plus my bike gets to keep its original tank and my trophy cabinet can bog off.

I've allready bought the blue (3.99 for 4 400ml tins) and the 2K laqueor (30 quid for 2 tins) 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'd got black and gold anyway so didn't need to bother with that, and the stripe is a doddle. so I'm knocking my dents out and getting on with it ASAP....probably this weekend. When thats done I'm there....powder frame and assemble.

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
 Certain things about this bike have amazed me...it may look shabby on the outside but the inside of my tank is as new. I just examined it with my flexible optical doodah. Also All around the filler neck is as new and the petrol tap - allthough mega coroded on the outside - is mint inside with one spec of something black in the filter. The bowl also undid easy and the tap still has a lovely action on the lever. Its never been apart in its life...amazing. I was expecting a right fight with it to get it off. It has some very annoying little dings in the tank one each side that I remember doing - all by dropping stuff on it, a biggish one at the back under the seat - photo grahping something on the seat when it toppled forward, and a long slow one under the left badge which i did when I fell of it once in the snow. Oh well shouldn't take me long to fix once I've made some dollies to get inside it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:20:49 PM by z1100r »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »
Dont forget the washers under the tap screw heads or it will leak through. I used dowty washers as generic fibre ones are too thin and too big an OD

Offline z1100r

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • Home Pages
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
will do Bryan....had a busy day today...!

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Now that is really nice.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
Great job , was that out of rattle cans ,or did you mix up and use a spraygun and compressor
BTW that is great progress you are making , superb detail and quality with everthing your doing
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal